Can you help me please (about the Big Muff pedal)

BrotherMichael
BrotherMichael
08/31/2002 7:14 pm
Do you think I should invest in a big muff pedal? I have a zoom gfx707 multieffects unit and i love it's effects but i want to have a more convincing distortion sound. I'm aware that the likes of Santana and Hendrix have used the big muff, but as i'm a guitarist in a band that requires me to pull off both lead playing (we play a Hendrix cover)and rhythm playing (we play a nirvana song,) im not sure if the big muff is the solution. I'm aware that it sounds great, but will it give me a distotion sound as well as a lead guitar sound? Any help greatly appreciated!
If practice makes perfect, but no-one's perfect, why practice?
BECAUSE YOU'RE A GUITARIST.
# 1
markpro
markpro
08/31/2002 8:56 pm
Anybody using a Big Muff is all myth. Bought one for that reason and discovered it sounded bad, very noisey and fell apart quite often.
# 2
Kirk Hammett worshiper
Kirk Hammett worshiper
09/01/2002 9:39 pm
I used to have one of those pedals. I thought it was ok. It depends on what sound you like. I usually got like a Black Sabbathy kind of sound.
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, but it can get pretty crappy these days.
# 3
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
09/02/2002 3:29 am
Try the Fulltone Fulldrive II...handmade since the sixties....amazing tone and versatility:

http://www.fulltone.com/stpframe.html

It has Volume / Tone / Drive / Boost

Boost is another boost on top of the distortion. Volume has a comp cut feature that allows the pedal to be a strait volume boost if you like the tone of your amp for a particular song...if you can get your hands on one...I highly recommend it. I played a friends...fell in love...and bought on eBay for about 120 bucks...best pedal I ever bought.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 4
kimbob
kimbob
09/11/2002 5:58 am
I have to agree with markpro. I had a Big Muff years ago but it was very noisy and the craftsmanship was poor. It's almost too dirty. The distortion is (how can I say it) so bad it makes the guitar sound like it's out of tune. :cool:
"Let that boy Boogie Woogie. Cause' it in em' and it got to come out." -John Lee Hooker-
There's no substitute for expeience. So get out there and break some strings on stage.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.