View post ( Your Influenses)

View thread

LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
09/21/2000 3:15 am
quote:
Originally posted by bofatron sofasaurus:

I started getting into jazz after studying Reids stuff and I got into 'Trane and Dolphy. Free form jazz, post-bop stuff and Cool Jazz a la Miles and McLaughlin. And I tried to absorb the spirit of all the cool jazz guitarists like Hall, Roberts, early Benson, Farlow, Scofield, Stern, Martino, etc.

That's me man. I'm still in high school, but boy am I going at it (jazz) head on. I'm in jazz band, jazz chorus, a queens college pre college program including a big band, and a small (sextet) ensemble. Plus I'm taking lessons. It's tough having to practice for all this stuff.
Those guys you mentioned are great. I can also dig the other guys you mentioned, satch is cool, so is the stuff you liked in high school, its just that I'm listening more to jazz cause i'm trying to learn it. You ever hear Jimmy Bruno? Give him a listen, he burns. Also, if you're still into jazz, there are lots of non guitarrists I love to recommend, I actually listen to horn players more than guitar players in general. Chet Baker's one of my favorites right now, incredible trumpet player. Anyway, cool stuff man.