Your Influenses

OldSkoolPunk02
OldSkoolPunk02
09/15/2000 2:44 pm
Im just courios. Who are your guys influenses, Band or Guitar player. That help shaped your sound. Or trying to get that sound. Mine are
The 60's
Alice Cooper
The 70's
Pinkfloyd, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Misfits
The 80's
Metallica, Megadeth, Antrax, Kiss, Danzig
The 90's
Drain Sth, Kittie, Godsmack, Manson, Static-X
Cannibal Corpse, NIN

Yea it's alot but all of that mixed togather is my right now crapy sound but shall get better.

------------------
Is it just me or does life suck? Maybe I suck and it just life? We shall never know...
Is it just me or does life suck? Maybe I suck and it just life? We shall never know...
Up with dope! Down with hope!
A guitar is like a woman, touch her right, and she shall sing.
# 1
bofatron sofasaurus
bofatron sofasaurus
09/15/2000 5:13 pm
In high school, it was Hendrix and Neil Young at first. Then, Van Halen, Randy Rhoads

Later I got into Jeff Beck, SRV, Eric Johnson.

Then in the late 80s I was turned onto Living Colour and Vernon Reid just blew me away. 1992 brought the Praxis disk "Transmutation" and that's all she wrote.

I started getting into jazz after studying Reids stuff and I got into 'Trane and Dolphy. Free form jazz, post-bop stuff and Cool Jazz a la Miles and McLaughlin. And I tried to absorb the spirit of all the cool jazz guitarists like Hall, Roberts, early Benson, Farlow, Scofield, Stern, Martino, etc.

The stuff I do now is a perverse mixture of buckethead-influenced shred but more free-formed if that's possible and shying away from neo-classical phrasing; I play with a lot of triadic superimposition, chromaticism, and synthetic scales that neo-classical shredders avoided.
http://shredlikehell.com
Shred Like Hell
# 2
Willdridge
Willdridge
09/15/2000 7:51 pm
There's very few guitarist who I've actaully felt inspired by...There's plenty who've impressed me (Yngwie, Vai) but the only people who've made me think, Man, I wish I wrote that are these:

Joe Satriani...If only I lived when he was still a relatively small known teacher, man!

Brain May...Wo-hoo!, just listen to those harmonies!

Mark Knofler...Hey, the guy takes from Chet Atkins, he's good!

Hendrix...What can I say?

Finally, my brother, nobody here knows him, but my hopefully, one day, I'll be able to hold my own playing alongside him...

There y'go
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 3

09/15/2000 8:05 pm
My short music life has been influenced by the following:
Hendrix (the feeling he puts into some of those notes sends chills down my back sometimes)
Slash (the way his solos work and build up to an incredible climax always get me)
Vai (while I'm still relatively new to the Vai-Phenomenon, I love his playing. My number one inspiration is to reach his level of playing.)

That's all I can really think of. I have tons of artists I love, but these are the guys that imop have that special something that really appeals to me. I'm as sure as I am the sun will rise tommorow that my musical tastes will evolve in the future, much like Bofatron's have. It's all a journey...
# 4
robert
robert
09/15/2000 10:40 pm
My main influences are

SRV
Clapton
Hendrix

And in my jr high days

Mick Mars
Frank Hannon
Kirk Hammett

[This message has been edited by robert (edited 09-15-2000).]
# 5
Luke
Luke
09/16/2000 1:18 am
WEll, my influences are more than just guitarists. THere are to many to choose from, so I'll give you a few.

BUt here they are:

Steve Vai
S.R.V.
Joe Satriani
Jimi Hendrix
Yngwie Malmsteen

And last but the most influential musician I've ever laid eyes on is:

Violinist Gil Shaham.

If you think Paganini is fast, check this guy out!

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 09-19-2000).]
When attempting the impossible, you achieve the best possible
# 6
Rammstein2452
Rammstein2452
09/18/2000 9:50 pm
May sound odd but I got into guitar playing because of Rammstein, I just thought it would be cool to play du hast, and now that i've gotten better i really enjoy any style. But mostly its from Richard Kruspe(lead guitarist, kewl riffs and solos) of Rammstein, (you all look at me like, WTF!)
Hello me, Meet the REAL me
# 7
BarryS
BarryS
09/19/2000 5:02 am
I have many...

Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, George Harrison, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Page, Carlos Santana, Albert King, Alvin Lee, Albert Collins, Keith Richards, John Fogerty, Paul Simon, Freddie King, Robbie Kreiger, John Lee Hooker, John Lennon, Duane Allman and Muddy Waters.

I think that just about covers all of them.

[This message has been edited by BarryS (edited 09-19-2000).]
# 8
Sonic_Youth
Sonic_Youth
09/20/2000 1:53 pm
Jimi Hendrix
Thurston Moore
Billy Corgan (seriously underated in my opinion)
Kim Thayil
Neil Young
John Squire

------------------
The clouds will open and spray forth the divine hand with pointed finger, and it will say- "People! You are more than ducks! Go forth and Thrash!"
The clouds will open and spray forth the divine hand with pointed finger, and it will say- "People! You are more than ducks! Go forth and Thrash!"
# 9
ksisson
ksisson
09/20/2000 3:25 pm

Life does not have to suck, my young ax wielder! God can and does give peace in the midst of life's 'suckage'!

My guitar influences have to be Phil Keaggy, Billy Gibbons (World's baddest-sounding distortion!), Kerry Livgren, and who could leave out the late great SRV?
# 10
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/20/2000 9:21 pm
quote:
Originally posted by OldSkoolPunk02:
The 90's
Drain Sth, Kittie, Godsmack, Manson, Static-X
Cannibal Corpse, NIN

I really hate post a boarder line flame, but to me Godsmack sounds a little too close to Alice in Chains for me to simply let it go. I mean, they even got their "sun" logo from the inside cover of Dirt (the same album they got their name from and ah... after hearing it on the radio, the music for "Voodoo")
Between them and Creed, I spend more and more time singing "Year of the Parot" to myself these days...

[This message has been edited by Raskolnikov (edited 09-20-2000).]
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/20/2000 9:30 pm
Now that I'm through being a pompus ass...
The main influences- Stone Temple Pilots, Primus, Morphine, and of course SRV.
Other stuff I know is kicking around in my head someplace- Buddy Guy, Charlie Hunter, Incubus, Seven Year Bitch, Buckethead, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Veruca Salt, Ben Harper, Ween, Fishbone, and many many more that I'll remember while I'm driving to work or something.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
guitar_chick
guitar_chick
09/21/2000 12:31 am
Randy Rhoads, Jimmy Page, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix...and my dad.
KIM
# 13
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
09/21/2000 3:15 am
quote:
Originally posted by bofatron sofasaurus:

I started getting into jazz after studying Reids stuff and I got into 'Trane and Dolphy. Free form jazz, post-bop stuff and Cool Jazz a la Miles and McLaughlin. And I tried to absorb the spirit of all the cool jazz guitarists like Hall, Roberts, early Benson, Farlow, Scofield, Stern, Martino, etc.

That's me man. I'm still in high school, but boy am I going at it (jazz) head on. I'm in jazz band, jazz chorus, a queens college pre college program including a big band, and a small (sextet) ensemble. Plus I'm taking lessons. It's tough having to practice for all this stuff.
Those guys you mentioned are great. I can also dig the other guys you mentioned, satch is cool, so is the stuff you liked in high school, its just that I'm listening more to jazz cause i'm trying to learn it. You ever hear Jimmy Bruno? Give him a listen, he burns. Also, if you're still into jazz, there are lots of non guitarrists I love to recommend, I actually listen to horn players more than guitar players in general. Chet Baker's one of my favorites right now, incredible trumpet player. Anyway, cool stuff man.

# 14
Code_Monk
Code_Monk
04/01/2001 12:16 am
Alex Lifeson
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton

# 15
aeroslash
aeroslash
04/01/2001 3:00 am
Slash
Malmsteen
Jeff Beck
Zakk Wylde

and a little tiny bit of Kirk Hammet
# 16
Brian Black
Brian Black
04/03/2001 2:20 pm
Slash, Perry & Whitford, Clapton, SRV, -Anyone with a bluesy-rock sound
# 17
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
04/04/2001 12:12 am
The people that inspired me mostly are:

Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Angus Young, Brian May, Andy Summers, Pete Townshend , Steve Vai

Anyone of those guys are great in his special style, and i think any guitarist can learn something from each of them, esepcialy Blackmore and May, who are in my opinion the 2 best guitarists ever...
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.