Yellow Leadfingers

stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
07/29/2018 5:35 am

Hi Dave, Just wondering if it's ok to use my index finger on the fragmented barre chord style. Wraping my thumb over the top sometimes makes it more difficult to get all the notes to ring clear. I know it has advantages, but for this song i was wondering if the other style would work as well? Just started this lesson so i'm looking for an easier method to get me movin' with it. I would love to do the personal lessons with you ar some point if you can fit me in the schedule... Thanks a Million.

# 1
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
07/30/2018 1:52 am

Would you say Dave, that it makes better use of my practice time as far as songs go try to pick more challeging songs than easier ones? I ask this because i just spent six weeks on a BB king song. I sorta felt like i spent to much time on it in retrospect but i couldnt stop once i started. And i understand for sure now why i should not just work on songs in my practice. I actually felt rusty on other skills, i think because i spent so much time on that lesson. One more quick question. I'm sure i need to learn thse lessons note for note but these artist dont always play them that way so should my goal be to play the lesson exact or if not how would i know when i can vary a little?...Thanks a Buhzillion.

# 2
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/30/2018 5:53 pm

Hi Steve,

Great questions! First, the 'Hendrix' style thumb over the top of the neck grip for the Yellow Ledbetter song can be substituted for the index finger bare across all six strings, but you might run into trouble with the pinkie notes. I have a few students who are trying it your way, but I'm encouraging them to get used to the thumb over the top as many classic rock songs use this grip (Hendrix, Pete Townsend, Peral Jam, Stevie Ray Vaughan).

Second, it's okay to pick harder songs to work on, but make sure you balance your practice time with other essential practice items like: scales, scale exercises, technique exercises (alternate picking, tremolo picking), work on timing (practice with a metronome) to name a few. These are very important areas to incorporate into tyour daily practice and should not be overlooked.

I'd love to work with you and get a lesson plan set up for you. Here's the link to my private '1 on 1' lessons with available days, times, rates, and to reserve a lesson(s):

https://guitartricks.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?calendarID=1274409

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave Celentano

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.