Question About Lessons on the site.

drakeman
drakeman
07/02/2018 4:28 am

Hey guys,

Looking for become an active member again, i used the search box to look for lessons about, triads, jazz and always get results, looked for chord extensions, seventh, nines, and so on, and couldn't find results so i have this questions

- There is lessons about chord extensions? seventh, nines, ?

- The searches that brings me result about triads, jazz, there is an order to follow? because i see that the lessons are classified as "rock, or any style, or theory" but when i click the genre, the site changes to song lessons about that styles, there is an index for the lessons about custom topics?

thanks guys.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/02/2018 1:24 pm

Hey, there! Yes, I have a list of tutorials aimed at those topics.

Originally Posted by: drakeman- There is lessons about chord extensions? seventh, nines, ?[/quote]

Yes! I have tutorials that cover basic dominant 7th chords, as well as major & minor 7th chords. But they are general & not genre specific. That's because those chords are used in many different styles. They are listed in my instructor directory under Introduction to 7th chords. And tutorials on all possible triads are right below that.

Then I have 3 tutorials that cover extended harmony chords (7th, 9th, 11th, 13th & all flavors of flat, sharp, aug, etc.). Those are genre specific to jazz, because that style uses them more than other styles! So I present them in a jazz context, how to use them in stereotypical progressions & standard cadences.

Since you can't see the lesson content until you are a member, I encourage you to look at my instructor directory. Scroll down until you get to the Jazz Guitar section. :)

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

There's a list of tutorials starting with extended chords, then through an intro to the style for rhythm, lead, then more advanced (Joe Pass style & comping). Finally a section of traditional jazz songs.

Originally Posted by: drakemanThe searches that brings me result about triads, jazz, there is an order to follow?

There is not a jazz course because there's not as much demand for it as there is for Rock, Blues & Country. However, I've organized my tutorials on my directory to give students a general path to follow. And in my instructor forum I have a sticky thread that outlines a specific path for learning jazz at GT.

Please keep in mind that jazz guitar is a complex & difficult endeavor. We can teach you the basics, but beyond a certain point it's very much like classical guitar. It's a serious discipline that will require a lot of time & effort, likely involving a real world university level study course.

[quote=drakeman]there is an index for the lessons about custom topics?

There's not a section for custom topics, because that would be huge! All tutorials are tagged with a genre (rock, blues, jazz, etc.) or category area of focus (chord, scales, exercises, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, etc.).

There are so many different topics available here at GT, that you can either use the search function, look at the instructor directories, or just ask! :)

Hope that helps! Best of success learning jazz guitar!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
drakeman
drakeman
07/02/2018 4:42 pm

Amazing response, im not sure if i cant say this but i think your lessons series are the best on the site, and only your lessons worth the membership here and more. Right now i dont want to be a jazzist, but im interested in chord extensions, 7ths and 9. I saw the order on your lessons and the order looks fantastic. Thanks, i will be registering on the site again, and i can see that the forum is very active, so i can get help here if i dont understand something.

[br]Thanks Again!

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/03/2018 12:16 pm

You're welcome. Glad it helped.

Originally Posted by: drakeman

Right now i dont want to be a jazzist, but im interested in chord extensions, 7ths and 9. I saw the order on your lessons and the order looks fantastic.

Good deal! Yes, please ask. I can help explain anything guitar related or point you in the right direction! :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.