What do you think?

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/11/2002 1:59 am
As i reflect at my time here at guitartricks, we used to have the same solid guys making the rounds, you started knowing everyone's personality very quickly because, as it seemed, alot more people posted all the time.

Now it seems we have a thousand (or 31,000 as the official count says, i believe) guys, most with little to say that makes you think "wow, this guy is a thinker". I mean, i would thank god everyday if on here we had 1,000 people who were thinkers, i mean real hardcore thinkers. Thinkers like "Joseph", who in my mind is no doubt one of our elite, in writing intillectual posts. Not that I don't mind all the members we have here, but freedom of expression is something many people do not utilize, and sometimes there are subjects that many things could be said, and many directions the subject could take, but often it just goes nowhere. Sometimes, an arguement occurs (such as mine and iiholly), and those things happen, but other times things don't seem to go anywhere.

Now this may be a Lull, but from the month of May to June, as you recall, actually middle of April to June, i wasnt on here much at all, and whenever i'd go on here, it was a lull. nothing particularly interesting, and that lull is still here. In Lull i dont mean "Number of Posts" i mean "Quality of Posts", btw (otherwise it would be a great season).

My reasoning behind this is that the GuitarTricks Greats, other than Lal and Lord, have pretty much stopped going to the forums regularly, and focused on the Tricks Section. This would make sense, in my mind at least. I remember days when Rask would post up a storm, quality posts too, and lal and lord and rask and some of the other guys were all there to make a quality subject out of it.

Perhaps its because i've aged as a guitar player many years beyond my age as a human, in perspective and thought,or... maybe the cookie dough ice cream is getting to me. Whatever it is, im believing that quality is going down although number of posts are going up. I admit and am sorry that i had that quarrel with iiholly, and it was a little ridiculous also.

I don't know when Guitartricks opened, but the guitartricks i remembered, I'll call it "Old School":D, didn't have so many members but the members it did have that posted, made [u]quality[/u] posts.Not posts like "If you could be a tree, what kind of tree would you be?", more like posts like my "hey hey hey!!!" thread, with the 8 pages long of Custom Guitar Info, Advice on what kind of guitar to get, different woods, inlay,different combos, etc. that topic was huge with the beginners, and everyone else alike (although there are tons that were alot bigger than my post, such as "are strat players more respected" which is a good post). There are alot more of those posts out there, but we have to write them down!

For that reason, and many others, I'm going to leave my station here (if i did have a station:D), and be back in...well i can't give a date, and i might not even come back.

Well okay i'll come back when i get my Epi LP Black Beauty with 3 humbuckers, to tell you how i like it prolly, but i can't promise anything.

have a good one:D
# 1
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
08/11/2002 9:07 am
well
im sorry youre leaving dude
im on the forum since summer 2000, means im one of the oldest members around :>
In my opinion the forum still kicks ass even though we have few not so nice people around here now..
i cant remember how things used to be 2 years ago, expet for me posting a thread about how much did i hate malmsteen :), but im pretty sure the forum was good then and is good now..
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 2
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
08/11/2002 10:17 am
I think that there are lots of questions asked, except you already have the answers. That's why you feel less concerned about the threads.
# 3
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
08/11/2002 10:23 am
I'm sorry you're leaving too, but there does come a time when it's good to move on and try other things.

It's always seemed to me as though a lot of people who come to forums have a burning desire to get noticed and respected, and for people to pay attention to what they say....which is human nature for many people - they have a desire to be loved. Unfortunately some have bad ways of trying to achieve this, like kissing the mods asses, insighting fights because they know people will respond out of anger (yes I've been guilty of fighting back too); posting on topics where they have nothing of value to say - they just want to get their post-number up because of the whole 'more post the wiser you are' thing.

People who come on here with only the motivation to get respect will never get it because that type of person is always obvious. It's a stage I've been through myself. These days I come on here to share what I know and learn from others and what they know. I have nothing against beginners who post things like 'How do you do this?' or 'Who is this player everyone's yelping about?' All of us at one stage in our lives knew nothing about the guitar or the many people who play it. If I know something that will help a beginner I'll post it, like I did for Woodyaki and his 'Whats a chord?' problem. But if I have nothing to say I keep my big mouth shut.

But the bottom line is I enjoy myself and at the end of the day if I'm not loved and respected, f**k it. :)
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 4

08/11/2002 12:49 pm

Incidents, if you feel you need to go elsewhere then you must follow that path, for it is yours. I did the same in my professionnal life. Got burned, real bad, but went away and came back stronger. Maybe you need to do the same. I know it sounds cheezy but follow your heart, you'll never be wrong.

I must way I've seen the types of posts and, well, they are maybe not the greatest but lets not forget it's summer. There's a lot of kids out there with nothing to do. By this I don't mean any disrespect. It's just that there are things you know at 25 that you don't at 13.

It's really sad to see you go. Even if I haven't been part of guitartricks for very long, I did enjoy the different questions and replies you brought to the forum.

The fact that you feel the need to go brings up questions about the forum and our part in it. Let us reflect on how we can make it a little better. Maybe then, we can make something good out of a sad situation.

I suggest that each of us do a post when we buy a new piece of equipement. That way, if someone else buys the same thing, we could discuss the problems we face with it. Share the different settings we use for a specific amp/pedal/etc... Then after adding replies to the post will make a little knowledge base.

You know what Incidents, take a break and come back when school starts over. I'll see you then.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/11/2002 5:47 pm
As you can see, incidents happen, the people who are responding to your angst are not the ones you have a problem with. Human nature...

I log on every day, sometimes several times, just to see whassup, and do what I can to help out. I took that on as a responsibility when I became a moderator. But I'm also curious to see what topics are coming up.

Most of them are the same old familiar tales of woe, and I tend to post a link to the previous thread that addressed the same topic. The best ones are fresh subjects, or new slants on things that haven't been looked at in a while. I had an opportunity to explain myself a bit here, on the occaision of my 1000th post.

Thanks for letting us know why you're about to 'fade away'. Usually, people just stop posting, and we don't know if they got bored, or something nasty happened to them. You will be missed; and you'll be welcomed back when you return.

Follow your path. Let us know where it takes you.

L.

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/11/2002 6:30 pm

As a new member of this forum, the best thing I can say about this forum is that everybody here is willing to help each other out. That's what draws me to check this site out at least once a day, cause I want to help too. And I also get some good advice out of it. Although I did not get a chance to really discuss anything with "incidents happen". It isn't good to see someone who seems like a good person go. I wish him luck on whatever his endevours are. I notice alot of things on here are just normal discussions and I think that is ok. It's good for us as people to hear the thoughts of others. Whether we agree with them or not we can still learn. Every other forum I've been too doesn't seem to have this, they mostly talk about the tuna salad they had last night, and now they can't stop sh#tting. we are still talking about guitar related stuff so i think that still a plus. And I notice most of you people who have been coming here for awhile are saying that everything the new people are saying you have already heard. well of course I wasn't hear when you first wrote about it, and so I didn't know it was written before, and it just got taken down. Thing is as new people keep coming on the forum, they may have the same questions as you had before, or whenever. I know I probably wrote the same things you've heard before, but some people haven't, those are the people I am writting it for. And you guys too, let me know what you think.

mike
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/11/2002 8:21 pm
I think most people are unaware of the huge base of information that's on this site. If a thread has not been posted to recently, it won't come up as an active thread, but it doesn't disappear. If you set your preferences to show posts made in the last 10 days, you will miss something was last posted a month ago, but it may be exactly what you're lookng for.

This is where the Search link at the top of the page is useful. Choosing a keyword will generate links to all of the posts that contain that word. The search can be refined by specifying a particular part of the froum, and/or a specific username. For example, we now have a very good discussion of 'Perfect Pitch' that will disappear from the Active Threads list, but its still going to be there in October, when someone wants to talk about "this thing called 'Perfect Pitch'..."

I admit, I get frustrated when people post questions about something that has been very thoroughly covered in a previous thread. Its like they're too lazy to look for it themselves, so they get someone else to look it up, or write a fresh reply from scratch. If that user had found the old thread, and posted a reply to it, it would come back up on the Active Threads list, where everyone could review the material, and add any fresh insights or clarifications to it.

The vB code makes it possible to customise your posts with italics, bold, and [u]underlined[/u] text. Links to other parts of this site, or other web pages, can be posted using a short phrase, or a single word, instead of typing out the full URL, (which can sometimes make a post turn into a monster that becomes 3 or 4 screens wide!).

A selection of Smilies is available to add some colour and expression to your posts.

Maybe a tutorial should be put into the sign-up routine so that new members learn how to use the site before they start posting.

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/11/2002 8:44 pm

hey thanx for the tips on the site, I didn't really understand some of that before. but yeah thanx man.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 9
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/12/2002 5:57 am
Hey Incidents, not much heavy thinking this time of year, it's too hot, makes the head hurt, even Sheryl Crowe is just siting in the sun, I think it's because all she wants to do is have some fun, relax dude, have some fun, experience some life, this site will be here and when the weather cools we'll be discussing the heavy topics again, like the politics of cat dancing, or could you hear a fart in a total vacum, maybe even some remotely guitar related stuff too, if we don't hear from you soon, we'll be waiting to hear from you and glad when we do..........
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.