Ok so now you're hitting on (my) all 8 cyl, Mike!!

stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
05/15/2018 2:49 pm

Two bands I always considered the best songwriters........The Who and Steely Dan!! Always loved "Pretzel Logic"!! You have to be the most prolific rock song whisperer around, Mike!! How's this..........I don't see anything like this on GT but.......do a lesson on just how you approach and figure out guitar songs!! A summary of course.......highlights and techniques you pull upon to do your arrangements!! Sort of like that old fable about handing a man a fish or teaching him how to fish. I personally am not so much into covering too many tunes to play out but much more interested in learning tips and techniques the great songwriters pull upon for their craft. You certainly have a musical finger on this pulse!! Jim C.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/16/2018 2:12 pm

Ha Jim! Glad you dig the song choice - although I cannot take the credit - GT HQ issues the list of songs they want taught.

That's a good idea for a tutorial - a few tips on how to figure out songs. I've been playing so many years that my ear has developed so that I can pick out things rather easily. I also research and refer to transcriptions just to confirm what I'm hearing and maybe catch something I miss.

Cheers!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
05/16/2018 6:47 pm

Then my compliments to the GT chef!! This and Dave Celentano's masterful cover of the great "Deacon Blues" really ups the GT ante in my book!! I mean......it's great to know more basic three chord tunes to jam out and have everyone fall into place but the sunshine comes out when you master tunes like Pretzel Logic and Deacon Blues ot Tom's phenomenal cover of the rather intricate solos for EC's "Crossroads"!! Our goals are always to add as much "extra" to the ordinary whenever possible!! It's a blast plus a challenge and feels so good an accomplishment when you know you got it!!! Again though........as with this tune...........I thought I walked away the other day with a pretty decent handle on it but........just now once again had to refesh my poor porous guitar brain with the chords and double stops!! If it was easy though...........we'd all be EC's and Jimi's, right!!?? Jim C. Great........now that I mentioned "pretzel" i just realized I missed lunch but now am hungry for pretzels and......an appropriate beverage......or pooped three.............since dinner's around the corner!! :>)

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.