Finger stretch

rickymurphy
rickymurphy
01/16/2018 5:33 pm

Hi Dave,

I wonder if you used a guitar on Ice Cream Man that has a smaller scale length? I ask this because my left hand hurts like hell when I try to get the opening lick for the solo on Ice Cream Man. But the strtch from the 12th fret to the 19th fret is enormous!

Is this solo possible to play for "normal" humans? I can get the stretch, but when moving the lick up to the second string, I fail. And I have a Peavy Wolfgang guitar ...

Any tips would be welcome ;-)

# 1
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/17/2018 5:49 pm

Hi Ricky,

The guitar I used for the 'Ice Cream Man' solo has a standard scale length neck 25.5" like a Fender. I'm a huge Van Halen fan and I've been playing these wide finger stretch licks since I was a teenager, plus I have long fingers, so it's not too hard for me. Although you'll notice I need to get 'under the guitar' a little bit as I move the opening 1st string stretch lick across to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings. Tip: I suggest warming your hands up first by playing scales and chromatic exercises, then work through the EVH stretch lick SLOWLY across the strings to get the muscle memory and mechanics down. After you can play the opening descending lick at a slow and steady tempo, then speed up slightly and repeat.

EVH was inspired by Alan Holdsworth's wide finger stretch and crazy sounding licks resulting from the stretch. Another reason for the challenge is that it's atypical, meaning not many guitarists use finger stretches this far. Advice: take it slow and gradually you will see progress. If you experience any pain in your hand, wrist, or arm stop and take a break! Don't over do it.

I offer live private '1 on 1' lessons here on Guitar Tricks if you need additional help. Here's the link:

https://guitartricks.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?calendarID=1274409

[br]Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave Celentano

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.