Jimi Hendrix/SRV Grip

Dfiant1
Full Access
Dfiant1
Full Access
11/06/2017 6:43 am

Hey Dave, I really enjoyed the Yellow Ledbetter lesson. You are an awesome instuctor.

I struggle mightily with the Jimi Hendrix/SRV grip. I've spent hours with different variations and no matter how I adjust my hand I can not get all the notes to ring out like they should. I can play most of the riffs with a standard bar chord grip and still use my pinkie finger to add the embellishments. In my opinion it sounds pretty much like it should.

My question about this topic would be is it really necessary to learn that grip? What are the real advantages it may present? Also, if possible, a lesson or link to one if it already exists on this grip would be awesome.

Thanks,

Dfiant1

# 1
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/06/2017 5:04 pm

Hi Dfiant1,

Great question on the 'Hendrix chord grip'! This particular grip is definitely challenging to master, and periodically working on it will bring you closer to nailing it. Clapton, Page, and Townsend also used this grip occassionally. Don't sweat it if you can't do it, especially if you can play Yellow Ledbetter with the standard barre chord form grip. In my experience, playing Hendrix's 'Little Wing' and 'Wind Cries Mary' are much easier and authentic with the 'Hendrix' grip. There's nothing wrong with trying other ways to perform a piece without the 'Hendrix' grip.

Hope this helps!

Keep those fingers flying!

-Dave

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.