Aqualung for single guitar

OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes
11/03/2017 6:41 pm

Hi Tom great tutorial, just started it and enjoying learning this.

On the section for single guitar you say play electric 1 and then switch to a clean tone to approximate acoustic. "This is great practice for live tone switching."

That all seems fair enough but you are playing the acoustic with a capo so how is this possible? Hope that is not a dumb question and thanks

# 1
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/04/2017 6:29 am

Hey there, I'm glad that you are enjoying the tutorial. What a GREAT song!

That is a very good question! If you were to play this on a single guitar you would either:

1) need a double neck guitar and put a capo on one of them. Perhaps not so practical ;)

2) You could adapt the acoustic part to play with bar chords. It would be different chord shapes which would result it a slightly different sound, but it would get you through the song AND it would be good practice to transpose the the acoustic form Emin, open postion to Gmin position. Often times bands with only one guitar player will record multiple guitars on a studio recording and then have to make accomodaions in order to perform it live!

Cheers, Tom

# 2
OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes
11/04/2017 8:35 am

Thanks for the quick response.

As I am not likely to be performing to an audience anytime soon I shall pass on the double neck guitar for now ;)

A good idea about good practice to transpose it and once I have leant the acoustic part I may well give it a shot.

Regards

Steve

# 3
OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes
12/16/2017 4:31 pm

Well, I am getting there with this. Got the chorus nailed pretty quick of course apart from polishing it off. The acoustic parts whilst not difficult as such seemed to take an age to get all the slight variations off pat, this is probably down to my age and poor memory as much as my lack of guitar skills.

The solo has taken a lot of work and I have it to about half way now (at slow speed)

It has been great fun to learn and may be the first song and solo I learn in its entirety.

Good work Tom

# 4
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Tom Finch
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/19/2017 2:38 am

Awesome... so glad it's coming along! Kee it up and you'll be nailig the whole thing beofre you know it! :-D

Tom

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.