changing pick to finger and vica versa ?!

tonymontanazone
tonymontanazone
10/11/2017 9:56 am

how I can just change pick to finger and change finger to pick again

Im playing a song it sounds good to play solo by pick but I want to play rhytme by my fingers but again after the chorus there is a solo and I want change it to pick again

any ideas? what is the best place to hide pick and best technique to turn it back in a fast way?

Sry for poor english

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/11/2017 12:31 pm
Originally Posted by: tonymontanazone

how I can just change pick to finger and change finger to pick again

There are a few different ways to handle this.

I think the most widely used way is to slip the pick into your palm or between your fingers. Or you could hold the pick in your teeth like a toothpick while you finger pick. :) I do both of those if I need to switch quickly.

But if you don't need to switch that quickly you could just set the pick down on you amp or a stool, then pick it back up when you need it.

Another thing I've seen guitarists do is to just drop the pick (or throw it in the audience!), then when they need another pick get one from the mic stand or a pick holder on the guitar.

There are also thumbpicks which are mostly used by country or bluegrass pickers. They take some getting used to, though. And finally, it's a lot more work, but you could use hybrid picking, which is a combination of using your pick along with your middle and ring finger to do all the fingerpicking parts, then you still have your pick ready to play the solo lines. I do hybrid picking sometimes if the part isn't too complicated, because I've only developed a limited amount of hybrid picking skill.

Hope that helps! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.