Cleaner tone than this...

Suicides
Suicides
08/02/2002 8:58 am
Whenever I want to try and record a simple clean tune to my computer, I can never get it to come out right. The sound is too drowned out by background noise. I use Goldwave for recording, but I've tried MusicMatch Jukebox, and they both have the same problem, so it isn't the program. I listen to some of the tracks on this site alone and they sound so crisp; I'm very jealous.

I know I'll end up having to fork out some cash to get the sound I want, but any ideas from you guys for an actual clean sound?
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/02/2002 3:12 pm
Go to the Links section, you'll see Cool Edit listed in the software section, give it a try..............
# 2
Bardsley
Bardsley
08/03/2002 4:15 am
OK, I don't know what Goldwave is like, but it's more likely what you use to get the sound in to your computer and what you do with the sound afterwards that affects the tone, rather than the program. What kind of soundcard are you using to get the sound in? If you want a really nice tone, you need to spend a couple of hundred buck on a decent soundcard. Sounblaster cards sound pretty good for home recording, then you move up to Midiman's Audiophile or Delta series which are more expensive. Second, are you using an electric or acoustic? If acoustic, are you using a proper mic, or the crappy one you got with your PC? If electric, are you going through a preamp, or just going straight from your guitar then boosting the levels there (which will dirty up your tone a lot)? In an ideal world, you would run your guitar through an amp, mic that, run the mic through a mic preamp, then into your soundcard (or mixing desk). In a normal world, the best way of getting a good level sound is to use an amp modeller like a POD. Next, are you using any effects that came with the program? Although these can be useful, effects on lower end packages like Goldwave can be pretty cheap sounding, and you're better off not using many. OK, I might be suggesting things which are way beyond your price range, but I'm trying to show how getting good tone on a computer is reasonably complicated, and is often as good as you are willing to spend on it. If you spent a couple of hundred on a soundcard and a decent mic (or amp modeller if you're using an electric), you'll notice significant improvements if you're not already using them.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
08/08/2002 12:17 pm
I have the same problem with goldwave too. Even if i turn the gain to zero on a clean channel it still gets distroted. Im using my emulated line output, is that correct?
# 4
helmet01
helmet01
08/08/2002 3:13 pm
I use windows xp soundrecorder and it too sounds like crap. My sound card is middle of the road though. Not the best but not the worst. All I do is stick the mic up to the amp and hit record. Is there a better way?
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.