So...WHO loves the WHO more than I do?

stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
07/29/2017 8:26 pm

That's easy!! I believe Mike does!! Actually........following all of Mike's Who tunes lessons I get a sense more and more on what goes on in Pete's great guitaristic (and really complete songwriting) mind!! But........it still would be wonderful to have a complete 'nuts & bolts' G.T. course on Pete Townsend's often underappreciated very tasteful guitar playing style!! It's remarkable how much Pete actually did with less and seeing Mike O. break down these classics and much of it comes right back to basic pentatonics but just a great inventive mind behind it all.......gives hope to us songwriting or guitar playing wannabes!! This is truly a great niche for you, Mike!!

Jim C.

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/30/2017 5:52 pm

Thanks Jim! It indeed has been a master class on my end preparing to teach all these classics. At this point, with even more Who songs coming over the next several weeks, I'm not even sure an actual Pete Townsend artist study could do it justice!!!

If you take the time to go through each song (as you have been doing) - you are actually learning more than from any artist study (the artist studies tend to be a bit more general in scope).

What's nice is that with each tune I can specifically talk about his approach in that song, and point out some of the cool ideas and concepts he's using in his composition and performance.

It's definitely been a blast on my end - glad you're enjoying it!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
07/31/2017 3:33 am

It's cool because I find myself even more and more going deeper and experimenting with my own creattions and more often than not..this works!! This is not to say I compare anything I've concocted original to Pete's well ironed and expertly arranged songs (or rock operas) but it's very rewarding and even fun!!

A summary course of some sort......would be super, Mike!! So often I'll learn a great concept like that one ....I'll call it creeping chord progression and I'll swear to myself that I'll forever lock it in and utilize it but then..........like now.......I can't even recall which song it was or even the key but what a cool means to alter a typical chord progression!! I wish you would do a highlights but I understand.....There's a reason why all the great guitar instructors universally state that the finest way to learn guitar is by learning to play songs!! Jim C.

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/31/2017 3:06 pm

Hey Jim - no worries - the request for a Pete Townsend Artist Study has been presented to the powers at be -- hopefully it will get the green light soon!

Cheers and keep rockin'!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
07/31/2017 7:28 pm

Great news!! I know Jimi and Eric and Jimmy abd Beck studies are all important but .....Pete's definitely been overlooked!! Enough!! Pete can do more with a basic G-C-D progression than anybody else!! Just please give me a slight nod on this course for my enthusiastic suggestion to both you and Ben!! Jim C.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.