changing pickups

joshldoherty
joshldoherty
07/30/2002 7:30 pm
right now i have a squier strat just sitting in my room, not being played- mainly because i have a fender strat and a jackson rhoads. i was thinkin of changing the pickups, because they are the only things i think are wrong with the guitar. i was thinking of geting a hum single hum configuration put on it, using a Seymour Duncan full shred bridge humbucker, a DiMarzio Super distortion humbucker, and in the middle, a Texas Special Fender single coil.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to do it, whether its worth doin it, or any things i should look out for when doing it?

Anything at all would be greatly appreciated

thanks
# 1
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/30/2002 10:10 pm
there is more of a difference than just the pickups. Squier Strats, at least most of them, are made of solid wood, while fenders are made of poplar/alder/ash, etc. The wood Squiers use is crap, and your Squier will always be crap because of that.

However, you can learn many a lesson by taking it apart, putting new stuff on, changing pickups , etc, learn the customizations on a guitar.

# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/31/2002 2:18 am
The Super Distortion is a killer bridge pickup, but you may find that it emphasizes the bass too much in the neck position. DiMarzio used to have a specially compensated version for neck installation, but I don't see it in their current online catalog. I think it used to be called M3, or something like that. Ask around the shops. Even if its discontinued, you may still find one in stock.

Good Luck.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
James8831
James8831
07/31/2002 7:44 am
Depending on where/when it was made the Squire will have a different body wood some Alder/Agathis,some Ply -as long as it resonates well unplugged and you like the feel it's worth the expense of the pup swap.

Anyway,ask in the shop with the best repairman in town to get an opinion on who uses what locally -see if they've got any makers stickers up,they may be biased,perhaps you might get to play a guitar with simlar pups.

http://www.guitarnuts.com check out the wiring section.

Familiarise yourself with standard strat diagrams.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 4
joshldoherty
joshldoherty
07/31/2002 3:10 pm
thanks to all of you. i still have to get around to persuading my parents to let me buy the pickups/ risk ruining my guitar, but i think it'll be worth it for the experience.

Is there a lot of cutting that will need to be done inside the body to make the hums fit?

thanks again
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.