playing along

dthompson1210
dthompson1210
05/06/2017 3:33 pm

So I've noticed many amateur guitar players who are able to "play along" with someone else or a tune on the stereo etc.

I'd describe it as fills or short riffs, whatever the term is.[br]I've asked them about it but they say it just comes to them or they play what seems right.

This hasn't worked for me.

I'm guessing they are identifying the key and playing a scale in that key?

Your comments are all appreciated!

Thanks

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/08/2017 7:18 pm

Hi dthompson1210,

You're correct in that the people you refer to as playing "along" with a song, they're most likely playing notes in a scale from the correct key. This blew my mind for a really long time when I first started learning guitar.

Before you can do this, you'll have to familiarize yourself with a scale, most people learn the major and minor scales first. You can check out this tutorial here: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20152&s_id=1586

The more you practice, you'll eventually be able to identify certain sounds from a song, and find the key. Once you know the key of a song, and once you have these scales in your back pocket, you'd be able to "play along" like your peers. Don't be discouraged, this takes a bit of time to figure out, it's like learning a language, but much louder.

Hope that helps.

- Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.