Commercial Advertising through GuitarTricks

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/29/2002 2:37 am
I do not think it is right and just that new Guitartricks member "Socialmanipulation" should be allowed to clearly advertise products of which he is either running the site or selling or both. Although at first i thought it was just a site with a bunch of different pedals, once i found its commerciality, was immediately pissed that he's getting away with this scam. Not only posting in one forum, oh no, he's got to reach a broad area of the vast 25,000 guitartricks members for his own personal gain.

I know he has been warned, warned twice publically, but i suggest either a deletion of all commercially attributed messages, a ban on all those that use the guitartricks system for their own commercial gain, or some sort of measures that say "Hey, you can't fill this forum with spam".

How would everybody here at guitartricks like it if every 2 days i had a message in EVERY forum saying "Hey! Don't Miss Out on this Deal!!! ____Music presents July Blowout Sale! Act Now!" etc, its no different, on only a more casual manner. It is Spam, and a waste of guitartricks space.

there has to be some formality or regulation here at guitartricks that outlaws the use of this advertising, so why not just delete his posts of that manner?

Not to be a bitch, but why should he get away with spamming like that? Maybe i should start a business and blatantly advertise it through here, see where im getting?

# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
07/29/2002 6:55 am
Sorry about that Incidents Happen, I agree with you completely, but I was moving back to College and was temporarily without Internet access. I've dealt with it for the moment, and if he does it again I'll just delete it, but you were right to raise it and I hope Jon deals with him.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/29/2002 7:40 am
I've left his first post on the Gear forum, so far, but I deleted the thread he started later. I'm not opposed to members posting about a particularly good deal they've come across; hey, I've posted a couple myself.

That's not the same as what this guy has been up to, and he's being dealt with the same as any of the other people who have tried to 'set up shop' through our forums. He's been warned, his posts have been deleted from the forums that were not appropriate to the material, and the Webmaster has been notified.

In short, he has not 'been getting away with' anything. We don't prowl these pages looking to blow somebody away at the first sign of deviation from our personal concept of 'normal' behaviour. I seem to recall Incidents Happen got off to a bit of a rough start, many moons ago. He's now a good guy to talk to. Everybody gets a chance to clean up their act and be a welcomed contributor.

Peace out.
L.

Update: Heeeeeeeeeeees Toast!

[Edited by Lordathestrings on 07-29-2002 at 04:50 PM]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
07/29/2002 8:03 pm
All good points. Sorry I couldn't see this sooner...I've been busy with work. However, I won't let spam drag us down. On the other hand, I agree with Lordathestrings...let everyone have a chance to rebuild their name. Let's keep this forum the great place it always has been.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/29/2002 11:31 pm
Originally posted by Lordathestrings

That's not the same as what this guy has been up to, and he's being dealt with the same as any of the other people who have tried to 'set up shop' through our forums. He's been warned, his posts have been deleted from the forums that were not appropriate to the material, and the Webmaster has been notified.
In short, he has not 'been getting away with' anything. We don't prowl these pages looking to blow somebody away at the first sign of deviation from our personal concept of 'normal' behaviour. I seem to recall Incidents Happen got off to a bit of a rough start, many moons ago. He's now a good guy to talk to. Everybody gets a chance to clean up their act and be a welcomed contributor.
Update: Heeeeeeeeeeees Toast!
[Edited by Lordathestrings on 07-29-2002 at 04:50 PM]

alright cool, i just didnt like the advertising scheme. Yeah, but my rough start was more of an immaturity thing than an advertisial thing, if i remembr right...i barely remember that, but i know it happened. i was just throwing up suggestions up on my post up there because i knew something had to be done about it. Thanks!
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/30/2002 9:12 am
When ya see em... just delete the first post (if you're a moderator) and sometimes all the posts after it will disappear.
On the more annoying guys, go in and change all his link addresses to at this site:
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

The worst guys are those that come on here regularly and tell people to surf to other sites for information when it's already here on GuitarTricks.
I'm all for sharing sites if it contains pertinent data not available here, but to just use GuitarTricks as an advertisement forum for other sites or products is not acceptable.
*This message brought to you by the makers of Coca Cola.
Coca Cola....mmmm TRY ONE TODAY!!
*Feminine itchng got you down??.................

# 6
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/30/2002 4:36 pm
haha-

this is a real one i got in my email a few years ago

"Tired of that annoying rectal oder? Try 'Oder-Whipes", available in Peppermint, Spearmint, and Cherry!"

i remember i printed that up and put in on my fridgerator

:D
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.