Dying to Live the Dream

pitbull1779
pitbull1779
03/06/2017 2:11 pm

I'm a fairly accomplished pianist and have always dreamed of learning to play guitar. I have great dexterity in both hands, years of training as a musician, and the self-discipline to practice and stick with it through the rough spots, but I am beginning to suspect that the amount of soreness I'm experiencing with even the minimal time playing may be excessive. In my first session, I made it (barely) 10 minutes; after 24 hours rest, I (barely) managed 5 more. It just seems like I have to push unreasonably hard on the strings to get clear tones! The guitar itself was given to my husband by a co-worker whose teenage son got it in some Starter Kit for Christmas and promptly abandoned it a few weeks later. The music store I drove over 3 hours to take it to for evaluation refused to look at since it had not been purchased ther, and promptly began trying to sell one of theirs. I did "try" a couple and they absolutely seemed FAR easier to play, but I was reluctant to proceed, since I had no idea what I was looking for and I disliked their pushy attitude. Now that I've had the opportunity to research it a little more, it seems pretty obvious that I need a better quality instrument if I seriously expect to progress. Now I have TOO MUCH information! I need to add that I also have pretty small hands; the operating room where I am a first assistant has to special order small surgical gloves specifically for me, although I'm not otherwise petite: 5'7", 125 lbs. Am I just making excuses for myself or is it reasonable to purchase a better quality instrument? What would some good options in the $1500 or less range be for me? How much practice/playing time per session is realistic for a beginner before their fingers give out? Thanks.

# 1
IstvanPetrie
IstvanPetrie
03/06/2017 2:51 pm

Hi,

The finger pain may be down to you pressing too hard or the quality of the guitar. If the action is high on the guitar (not uncommon on cheap guitars) you will have to push down more on the strings to make a clean note.

It does take a while to get over the sore fingers stage but the fingertips do toughen up. As for guitars - if you're looking for a decent electric guitar in the 1500 USD or less range you would get something really nice - a mexican Fender Strat or Telecaster, a Gibson Les Paul Studio or SG, a PRS CE24...

For acoustic, you could go for a smaller one. Maybe a Taylor GS Mini - would only set you back about 400 USD.

You need to try a few - you might hate the ones I've suggested.

Good luck

:-)

# 2
andydgg
andydgg
03/06/2017 5:55 pm

Definatly seems that the action is too high on your guitar, the shop really should have had a look and explained what their thoughts were.

As for a new guitar try a Squire strat or a Epiphone Les Paul.

# 3
Joe105
Joe105
03/07/2017 10:51 am

Hi and welcome pitbull.

Painfull fingers at the beginning! Tell me about it.

I started with a Yamaha Accoustic and it was a very painfull business to start with. The pain diminished however as the finger tips hardened up. Then I decided I would switch over to electric guitar and , after a lot of research went for an Epiphone ES-339 semi-acoustic. The difference was magical. I set up the action properly, got some good quality strings and my playing has become much easier. I now require a much lighter touch on the strings.

Now after three weeks my fingers don't hurt much any more and are improving no end.

I think it would be worthwhile to visit guitar shops and try out a few. Do some research on the internet for other peoples feedback on the instruments Don't let the sales people pressure you. Be firm, listen to what they say and let their words pass on through and make it clear you are just trying some instruments out.

You don't have to shell out big bucks to get a decent guitar these days. Epiphone and Yamaha do some very good guitars. I would have a close look at these first and don't go straight to more expensive brands. You can do that later when you feel the need to.

You will not get long practice times at the beginning. 10 minutes here and there throughout the day will probably be your limit. But after a couple of weeks you will find you can extend this time as your finger tips harden up and the muscles for your hand and fingers begin to develope. It may seem a slow process but, believe me, the time goes by quite quickly By the end of the month, with regular practice you will notice a big improvement. After a couple of months you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about..

I wish you all the very best and don't hesitate to come back if you have any questions or comments at all We would love that.

Joe

# 4
pitbull1779
pitbull1779
03/13/2017 12:26 am

New guitars! Thank you to everyone for their helpful advice! I pretty much devoted my life to visiting every single music store in a 100 mile radius to test their different acoustic guitars, and can now say definitively that it was time well spent. It was amazing to feel the difference between a quality, professionally set up instrument and the one I was "attempting" to play. The fingertips still have some developing to do, but they're on their way. I ended up with two very nice Breedlove guitars; my 16 year old son (youngest of my 9 kids) is learning with me. I loved the way they looked, sounded, and especially the way they fit in my smaller hands. NO COMPARISON! Someone should tell all aspiring guitarists to skip the cheap "Learn To Play Guitar" ripoffs and get to a music store where they can get an instrument they have a fighting chance with ASAP! There are functional instruments at all price points and having someone experienced set it up correctly is well worth the cost of the gas to drive there. I'm well on my way to becoming the rock star I've always known I could be. Just kidding! Thanks again!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.