Learning songs!

IstvanPetrie
IstvanPetrie
03/06/2017 11:56 am

I was out the other day and a women was playing acoustic guitar and singing to a small audience. She was playing through a bunch of songs and then asked for requests. She played a few requests and finished up. I noticed that she played through about a dozen songs and only used a handful of open chords.

She mentioned that she didn't know many chords and couldn't play a B chord. I showed her how to do a B chord and she said she had been a guitar player for decades and should probably learn some more chords.

What struck me was that while I'm pretty sure I know more chords, scales and theory than her, I would currently be unable to do what she did and play some basic sing along songs for a group. Just a little lesson for me that I need to build up a repertoire and that ultimately it's all about the songs!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/06/2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for posting this little story.

Originally Posted by: IstvanPetrie

Just a little lesson for me that I need to build up a repertoire and that ultimately it's all about the songs!

Absolutely the right lesson to learn! After all, that's the end goal & why we learn theory & technique: to play songs! And the more songs you commit to memory, the more you will see that the same basic ideas & skills are used over & again.

Thanks for that great Monday morning post.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.