GT and Yousician

Scalesup
Scalesup
10/24/2016 6:42 pm

I've bought the membership for GT as I find the app is more like having a real instructor with you. I think it will serve me better in the long run as I grow as a guitarist.

I did try Yousician and am still in the 7 day trial period. I like that app too as it's fun and easy to play and practice using their unique bouncing ball trainer.

Would it be a waste of money to pay for both? Like I mentioned, I'm definitely sticking with GT as my primary trainer. My goal is to learn the electric guitar (I have a Fender Stratocaster). Interested in hearing from others.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/24/2016 11:50 pm

Hi,

If you feel you're learning a lot from both apps then I wouldn't call it a waste of money. But if you're getting more knowledge and experience from one app it might be best to eliminate the additional cost.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Scalesup
Scalesup
10/26/2016 12:05 am

This hobby is getting expensive lol :)

# 3
maggior
maggior
10/26/2016 3:16 pm

A lot of people find it useful to have different sources for the information. Sometimes one approach will stick more than another. For instance, somebody may be taking private lessons but also going through a book.

I suspect that even the cost of both is still far less that what private lessons would run.

# 4
macRocker
Full Access
macRocker
Full Access
11/02/2016 2:58 am

I would stick with GT and I'll tell you why, GT had a huge selection of songs to learn. Learning songs once you finish fundamentals 1 is the best thing you can do to practice and hone your skills. Learn songs that are at your level or slightly above, in the area you are interested in (rock, blues,country,etc), which you will find most are very similar in that they often share the same key, use familiar chords, barre chords,power chords. Learn a song until you can play it without having to think about what chord to play next, own it. Then learn another, and go back and play what you have learned or own so that you don't forget it. Your skills will grow with each song you learn, and that is how you learn to play guitar. Along the way if you want to pick up theory, or scales fine GT has this and more but learning songs is the reason you picked up the guitar in the first place.

# 5
Scalesup
Scalesup
11/02/2016 12:13 pm

This is really good advice and makes perfect sense to me. I'm a bit more advanced than the core lessons are teaching me so far. So, I'm having fun by turning up the distortion and playing with different strumming techniques.

Lisa would be horrified :)

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.