distortion and overdrive pedals

nasum_human
nasum_human
07/20/2002 2:38 am
I just wanted to start a discussion type thread, wondering which pedals you guys use, have used or want to use, which ones sounded good, great, or like a wasp in a jam jar.
Personally I've tried a few out in-store, and non have come close to my beloved DOD YJM308 preamp pedal, in terms of tone, it sounds so tube-like it's a dream, and it has a massive variety of tones.
My friend kip swears by his danelectro 'fuzztone' but I hate it!
I've seen a tech21 double drive pedal and heard one in action and I WANT it, as well as the electro harmonix distorion box, which has two 12AX7 tubes to give a true tube tone.
Hell you dont even have to talk about distortion pedals, just any old stompboxes will do, just none of those huge digital multifx units!
And has anyone found a good, nay GREAT acoustic simulator pedal yet? I run a BOSS AC-2 and it's fine for a little bit, but when you're playing stuff with huge mixes of acoustic and electric, it's just not practical to keep switching, and the pedal shows its flaws the more you use it, although my old GFX-707 unit sucked with it's acoustic simulator, which was more like a chorus pedal than anything else!
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
07/20/2002 5:50 am
how is the YJM pedal, i thinking about getting it, i've heard nothing but good things. Yngwie even said he put his vintage pedals on his shelf in favor of this.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
Bardsley
Bardsley
07/20/2002 5:52 am
My Boss OD-3 does the job at the moment. I must say, I'm not a particular nut when it comes to the respective quality of stompboxes, I just paly around with whatever I've got until I get something I can use. Sure I might not get the perfect tone, but at least I'll sound a bit different. I'm a bit hesitant about getting a tube-screamer, simply because it seems that everyone who plays the sort of styles I like uses one, and I'm not a big fan of "standard" tones.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 3
nasum_human
nasum_human
07/20/2002 4:18 pm
I have nothing but good things to say about the YJM pedal also! I found it to be such a versatile little beast it suits my variety of music. I play a lot of death metal stuff, and I use the YJM as a 'lead boost' type thing, I set my amp to a driven rhythmn tone, and use the YJM to cut through that if I want to solo.
It's also great as a sole source of overdrive, it can go from a warm fuzzy little tone, great for blues, through a nice rock tone, straight up to a screaming metal lead tone, and practically everything between.
At lower levels it's got an almost vintage tube quality, really sweet. I would say you could fit it into your gig bag regardless of the type of music you play, from blues, to jazz to funk to metal, it has a sound to suit anything, and no, I DONT work for DOD, hehehe
It's also pretty cheap too, so I would say it's very worthwhile to buy one and see what you think, you can always take it back!
Honestly, if you're looking for a great pedal, you can go FAR worse than this little monster

and about the tube screamer, I totally agree, everyone seems to use them, and from what I've heard, they're nothing utterly special, in my view there are dozens of pedals out there that do a better job, sound better and cost less!
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)
# 4
taylormarkow
taylormarkow
07/22/2002 4:58 am
i have a boss gt-3 that i bought off my uncle. i works fine for me and has plenty of different distortions and effects.
Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess was why several of us died of tuberculosis.
# 5
dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
07/22/2002 10:31 am
Originally posted by nasum_human
And has anyone found a good, nay GREAT acoustic simulator pedal yet?

The Roland VG-8 and VG-88. The only thing that sounds more like an acoustic is a real acoustic - and the VGs sound better, to me, than something like an Ovation. You do need a hex-pickup on your guitar, but there you go. The other option would be a piezo pickup through a full-range amp.
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.
# 6
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
07/28/2002 5:33 pm
Man, I got this little Zoom 505 multi effects unit. I love the little thing. I managed (with some tweeking) to get some really fat, high gain distortion out of it, and the tube amp simulator on it sounds really warm and bluesy.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 7
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
07/29/2002 8:13 pm
My favorite distortion pedal is called a Fulltone Fulldrive II. They're handmade pedals from So-Cal since the 60's by the same guy!! He signs them and numbers them...anyway...lots of cool features:

Distortion
Boost
Comp cut which is a strait volume boost if you like the tone of your amp...the list goes on and on. I highly recommend checking this thing out.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 8
SHREDMETALNEO
SHREDMETALNEO
07/30/2002 1:26 am
I HAVE PLAYED ADISTORTION PEDAL MADE BY GUYATONE PEDALS CALLED MONSTER DISTORTION IT IS A REALLY GOOD PEDAL AND IT HAS A TUBE BUILT IN IT TO GIVE THAT WARM TUBE SOUND IT IS AN AWSUME PEDAL IF U ARE WILLING TO SPEND ABOUT 150 TO 200 BUCKS ON IT OH I HAVE AN IBANEZ TONELOK SMASH BOX IT SOUND OK I JUST RATHER USE MY RECTO DISTORTION THOUGH NOTHING SOUNDS AS GOOD AS THE DISTORION STRAT OUT OF THE TUBES THATS MY OPINION
# 9
Guitarrist-drag
Guitarrist-drag
03/11/2007 1:40 am
Originally Posted by: nasum_humanI just wanted to start a discussion type thread, wondering which pedals you guys use, have used or want to use, which ones sounded good, great, or like a wasp in a jam jar.
Personally I've tried a few out in-store, and non have come close to my beloved DOD YJM308 preamp pedal, in terms of tone, it sounds so tube-like it's a dream, and it has a massive variety of tones.
My friend kip swears by his danelectro 'fuzztone' but I hate it!
I've seen a tech21 double drive pedal and heard one in action and I WANT it, as well as the electro harmonix distorion box, which has two 12AX7 tubes to give a true tube tone.
Hell you dont even have to talk about distortion pedals, just any old stompboxes will do, just none of those huge digital multifx units!
And has anyone found a good, nay GREAT acoustic simulator pedal yet? I run a BOSS AC-2 and it's fine for a little bit, but when you're playing stuff with huge mixes of acoustic and electric, it's just not practical to keep switching, and the pedal shows its flaws the more you use it, although my old GFX-707 unit sucked with it's acoustic simulator, which was more like a chorus pedal than anything else!

I adore these here [/B] [/SIZE]

Scream x3 sampler

manufacturer ;) is T. Miranda custom amps & effects pedals
www.tmiranda.com
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.