axl_rose - Please help!!

volume
volume
07/18/2002 8:17 pm
hi- i`m new here but i`m hoping this place will be of great help to my struggling guitar playing. i, like your self (and i`m sure countless others) am a big slash fan. he's the reason i started playing guitar.

Anyway, lately i`ve been trying to understand the theory behind lead improvisation. being financially challenged (poor) the best i could do was buy a book. which is ok but not great. the book basically teaches the 12 bar blues and the various fingering positions. this is fine but what I’m confused about is this.

in teaching the blues the accompanying CD has blues progression chords playing (G G7 C7 G D7 C7 G D7) and so on. entering with lead on the blues scale at any fingering position and at any point in the chord progression seems to be fine. i think.

what i`m hoping you could tell me is will the blues scale work for only this particular chord sequence?

for example, lets take the chord progression G5 D5 C5 (as in knockin' on heavens door). playing any of the blues scale here seems out of place. maybe i should only be playing certain scale positions on certain chords?

i do hope i have made at least some sense to you and you know what i`m getting at. not knowing that many guitarists I’m at a bit of a loss for answers. this is really bugging me though as i`m determined to improve my lead skills. i see from reading your previous threads you seem to have a good grasp of this theory and alos an appreciation for good lead guitar!

ok, well thanx a lot for taking the time to read this and hope to speak soon.

bye!

# 1
AndyP
AndyP
07/19/2002 1:05 am
I'll leave it to the experts to help you out with theory and stuff. I just wanted to point (just in case you hadn't realised) that Guns'N Roses play with their instruments detuned a semi tone. So if you are trying to play over their version of Knockin on heavens door (actually in Gb) with any scale in G then it won't sound right. Try using Gb pentatonic or Gb major- (or tune your guitar to Eb, Ab, Db etc..) - and see how that sounds. If you don't know what the pentatonic scale is or G major then there are some excellent tricks posted on this site on it (pentatonic is the blues scale with the blues note removed).

Hope that helps.
AndyP
# 2
volume
volume
07/19/2002 11:32 am
AHHH!

i tried the Gb major scale. it seems to work beautifully. i see what i was asking was actually quite obvious. but like they say, they are only easy when you know the answers.

thanx a lot bud. hopefully i`ll have the opportunity to return the favour one day!

# 3
AndyP
AndyP
07/19/2002 1:17 pm
No problem. Like you said- it's only easy when you know the answer. Happy improvising!!!

# 4
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
07/20/2002 1:33 am
THe minor pentatonic works in 80% of the tunes you'll listen to. Some 15% will be with the major scale, then 5% is too crazy to listen too (jazz and stuff yuck :D )
# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
07/20/2002 5:54 am
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
5% is too crazy to listen too (jazz and stuff yuck :D )

Heh, I never know when you're joking... :D
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 6
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
07/20/2002 9:22 am
Me neither...

First time I heard a Jazz record, I thought the guys kept hitting wrong notes (that's a pretty cool jazz definition :) ) I've changed my mind now, so I keep hitting wrong notes, and I call it Jazz :D :D
# 7
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
07/20/2002 2:44 pm
Incredible!, I just found out I've been a Jazz player for years and didn't know it!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.