View post (how important is speed??.....really)

View thread

53nps
53nps
07/19/2002 2:34 am
to reply to josh... i definitely agree with what you are saying, and to be honest...in most songs i play i don't play that fast. usually i play around 25 notes stacatto and around 30 notes legato, but even then i try to use it tastefully, making an effort only to play fast once or twice a solo, just as a tool. but, since i play a type of fusiony rock, speed can be used to help along the music. while it doesn't really matter in fusion, many good fusion guitarists like shawn lane or John McLaughlin play very fast (in fact, it was a combonation of their two picking styles that caused me to come up with my "rolling" technique)
and yes, the main reason i play this fast is to impress people. I'm only 16 years old, so it would be a good way to get my foot in the door and make a name for myself if i could use my rolling technique as a gimmick. if i can play faster than anyone twice my age, than maybe people will at least give me a chance. so after i perfect the technique, i want to record a demo tape, using my speed as a tool to catch ones attention, and then letting my songs speak for themselves.

and to nas - i didn't take offense to your questions just so you know, and i appreciate you taking the time to try and figure out the actual speed. but i do think that it will never be possible to slow it down enough to count the notes, because the basis of the technique is that one note starts before the next ends.
be formless, shapeless like water
- Bruce Lee