How do you guys do this????

I_am_the_smartest
I_am_the_smartest
07/15/2002 6:56 pm
Well, I was playing guitar the other day, and I stuck in a Metallica dvd which i had just recently bought a few days ago. And i noticed as kirk was soloing, he didn't even have to take a glimpse at his guitar to see where he was on the strings.

My question is how do you play without have to look at where you are on the fretboard???

I watch a lot of people in concerts and notice that they don't have to look much at their hands or whatever either, like i saw eric clapton on snl and he was amazing moving his hands all over the place with his eyes closed!!

I practice a lot and play lots of metallica and still whatever i do i cannot play without looking. even the rythm parts can mess me up. Can anyone tell me how to do it??!!?!
# 1
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/15/2002 7:01 pm
if your the smartest, you wouldn't need our help :).

its like a reflex, i can do it sorta, but usually choose not to, i guess thats how my posture works.

sort of like how BB king can't sing and play guitar at the same time...
# 2
trendkillah
trendkillah
07/15/2002 7:23 pm
After a while you just stop thinking about it. Also, practicing with your eyes closed will probably help.
# 3
Gulder
Gulder
07/15/2002 8:48 pm
If you practise your licks so many times you have to puke, you'll be able to (almost) do em blindfolded...
# 4
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/16/2002 9:01 pm
In time, you will be able to play without looking.
I dont like looking at my fingers when I play,
if I do I think to much.
And if I constantly think "ok now Im gonna play this",
I get confused.

# 5
JohnEve
JohnEve
07/17/2002 1:17 pm
OK, I may possibly be the slowest player in the world anyway, but I'll give you my tip all the same.

As an intermediate step between looking and not not at your hands when playing, practice playing stuff while looking at you hands in a mirror.

I find this help me to be able to play with my eyes having to be fixed on the neck, and you start to be able to picture where your hands are and what they are doing in your head.

Does this help?

JE
# 6
nechako
nechako
07/18/2002 6:07 pm
Originally posted by I_am_the_smartest
Well, I was playing guitar the other day, and I stuck in a Metallica dvd which i had just recently bought a few days ago. And i noticed as kirk was soloing, he didn't even have to take a glimpse at his guitar to see where he was on the strings.

My question is how do you play without have to look at where you are on the fretboard???

I watch a lot of people in concerts and notice that they don't have to look much at their hands or whatever either, like i saw eric clapton on snl and he was amazing moving his hands all over the place with his eyes closed!!

I practice a lot and play lots of metallica and still whatever i do i cannot play without looking. even the rythm parts can mess me up. Can anyone tell me how to do it??!!?!

>> do what guitarists have been doing to fool people for centuries, learn the instrument. Or put subtle markers on the back of the neck at 3,5,7,9 and 12 frets that your hand can feel but no one can see. A lite colored felt works well, I did this when learning after a while you won't need them.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.