Folsom Arpeggiation

johnv31552
johnv31552
03/06/2016 8:46 pm
Mike, I am having a hard time with how you are arpeggiating on Folsom Prison Blues. I am trying to practice it, so that I can play the whole thing on electric, and I am starting with the intro lick, going right into the boom chika strums on E and then trying to switch to the solos on the 12 13th fret. I have that part down, but I can't figure out how you are arpeggiating that modified A chord when you drop down there after that lead lick. Which strings are you playing. Need a bit of help. I can play through the whole song using just the E A and B7th chords but I want to jazz it up a bit and include the solo lick in there also. I will look at your lesson again, and see if I can figure it out. Help if you can. Thanks
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/06/2016 11:39 pm
Hey there!

You're grabbing the upper part of an A major barre chord at the fifth position there. In the first measure, with that chord shape held, you're arpeggiating the D string then G string, then high E string then B string back to the G string.

In the next measure, you're arpeggiating the D string going to the G string to the high E string, then the open B string as you reposition your fretting hand to grab the A triad (6, 5, 5 on the G, B, and E strings).

With that A triad held, the next measure you arpeggiation G string, B string, E string, B string then the open B string as you reposition to the higher inversion A triad up the neck (9, 10, 9 on the G, B, and E strings).

That final measure on the higher A triad is the exact arpeggiation as the previous bar.

Make sense? Let me know how it goes!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
johnv31552
johnv31552
03/07/2016 4:39 pm
Thanks for clearing it up, will give it a shot after I grab lunch...Thanks
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.