hey hey hey!

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/09/2002 12:59 am
wow! I haven't been on here since early June, when i just got my New Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Combo! from looking at the posts in the open discussion, looks like the big 'lull' in important posts is still there. I haven't had too much time to go on here lately, been saving money and working at mcdonalds still, this time saving up for a new electric guitar. Im 14, maybe 14 1/2 years old if that, made $1200 this year at Mickey D's.

As an improvisational guitar player, i really have improved. I can play solo's out of any key right now...i can't play a country solo yet (haven't tried any yet), but i have a nice deal of jazzy/bluesy/funky/grateful dead-y sounding things. In other words, its more balanced. I've been playing for 14 months (1 year, 2 months, going on 1 year 3 months), and i'd say the first 7 months i spent playing rhythm guitar, last 7 playing lead guitar, and my lead guitar work is better than my rhythm guitar work right now.

My equipment i use right now is
my amp:
Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Combo Reissue
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Wah
Q-Tron + Envelope Filter (very nice)
Guitars:
Guild DC-1 Acoustic/Electric
Squire Strat (it was my beginner one, getting an American Strat in August).

Im searching for the Jerry Garcia type sound, still, but im closer to it than i used to be. Got any ideas that will make it even closer? Im not trying to duplicate his sound, i just like it and want something similar but yet original.
would you recommend a Roland Synth? I know Jerry had one, a GK-7, but im not sure that they make that anymore.
# 1
BlackBox
BlackBox
07/09/2002 2:16 am
Damn, 1200? not bad.. I prolly make around 2400 at a local bowling alley though :):)
Rock on.
# 2
kimbob
kimbob
07/09/2002 3:55 am
I'm impressed. Aproximately %12 of you life has been spent playing guitar.
If you want to play country leads a pentatonic major scale works nicely.
How do you like the 65 Delux reissue? I recently purchased a used Marshall Valvestate 8240. It's got 2 12s and 40 watts per side stereo with stereo chorus and reverb and channel switching. This thing is really hot. You can crank it and it's not blasting loud. It has a a nice warm full tone with lots of sustain when it's craked. It's great for small venues. Stick a 57 in front of it and let er rip. I like it so much I just had to tell somebody.:cool:
"Let that boy Boogie Woogie. Cause' it in em' and it got to come out." -John Lee Hooker-
There's no substitute for expeience. So get out there and break some strings on stage.
# 3
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
07/09/2002 4:04 pm
If you put Kimbobs gear with yours, Incidents happen, you kinda get my gear. I got a Marshall Valvestate and Crybaby peddle, its a rocking combination. I'm more of a les paul player these days but I started with a squier strat as well which i've still got.....although it badly needs work done on it coz it doesnt stay in tune anymore and the pickups are slowly dying a death.

Nice way to spend your cash....the American Strat is a fantastic guitar...(the thought of it could certainly get me through a **** day at Macky D's).... I came close to buying one myself not long ago, but i resisted coz my cash has got to get my through uni next year.......after that my collection of guitars is gonna be awesome :)

Right now I'm jealous :mad: lol

catch ya later, Chacron.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 4
JohnEve
JohnEve
07/09/2002 5:04 pm
Hey guys.
You lot are a little way ahead of me! I've been playing acoustic for a few years but recently nabbed a Squire Strat off a mate at school on the cheap (kinda). Still in pristene (spelling?) condition.

I wondering how much of my student loan I should blow on an amp?! My parents bought me a little 'practice' amp a while ago cos my other guitar's electro-acoustic, but it sound pretty awful. As ever, I'm faced wit the question of:
Do I spend a little money on something better but still fairly basic and then upgrade later when my skill level demands better - OR do I go for it now and get something decent that will last me for much longer.

At the moment I'm improving quitae a lot after an initial period of thinking I wound never get any better. I still think my fingers are naturally slow!! I picked up an old book at the library for 10p, which got me started on scales, and I've got a transciption of some direstraits - kinda simple and effective but not my style of music.

Ah well - keep on practising!!

JE
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/09/2002 9:34 pm
Originally posted by kimbob
I'm impressed. Aproximately %12 of you life has been spent playing guitar.
If you want to play country leads a pentatonic major scale works nicely.
How do you like the 65 Delux reissue? I recently purchased a used Marshall Valvestate 8240. It's got 2 12s and 40 watts per side stereo with stereo chorus and reverb and channel switching. This thing is really hot. You can crank it and it's not blasting loud. It has a a nice warm full tone with lots of sustain when it's craked. It's great for small venues. Stick a 57 in front of it and let er rip. I like it so much I just had to tell somebody.:cool:

The Fender Deluxe Re-issue is excellent, especially for my kind of music (as pickin4life says "f***ing hippy music", what a moron). It does not have distortion (only drawback for those heavy metalers out there), it only has like a slight fuzz distortion if you crank it. But it is worth the money, definitely. You can always get a distortion pedal, is my opinion. Marshal Valvestate is sort of a Hybrid between Solid State and Tube, if i remember right, and i know my FDR (ha! fender deluxe reverb, franklin D. Rosavelt) is a pure tube amp) is a 100% tube amp. It still has Reverb (hence the Deluxe 'Reverb' 65), and an optional Tremelo effect, but everything else is sooo pure.

Is the Ionian Mode a good one for country? I prefer to use the ionian over pentatonics, but i do use both, along with dorian, phrygian, mixolydian, lydian, minor, and chromatic (and some others).

12%? I think You mean 12% of my life i've OWNED a guitar, otherwise i would have to be playing 24 hours a day, everyday, no sleep. But yes, so far 12% of my life i've OWNED a guitar (that percentage is rising too).
# 6
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/10/2002 10:39 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne
Yes, they still make the GK-7. You should be able to find it at pretty much any online retailer or Mars Music. Roland guitar synths are okay, granted you get a plethora of stuff for $400, but personally I prefer just to save up for the individual effect, it tends to be much higher quality.

You might want to think about getting a custom guitar from Warmoth (www.warmoth.com) rather than an American strat... I've tried lots of AmStrats that didn't sound or feel all that great. Japanese strats are better as well, and way cheaper to boot.

yea, i think i will just save up for each individual effect, for better quality.

im checking out warmoth as we speak...my computer is slow so it might likely take a while for me to find some cool stuff.

edit- why do they have the option to get it unpainted? is it so you can paint it yourself? also, there are no SG type bodies at warmoth...why not?

[Edited by Incidents Happen on 07-10-2002 at 05:53 PM]
# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/11/2002 1:07 am
Would $850 get me a nice custom guitar from Warmoth or another custom guitar site? Something with great tone, nice look, everything? Also, where are the birds at Warmoth? I mean the Abalone birds, i love those things, from my research, they don't seem to have em...:(
The regular dots are real boring, thats mostly why i wanted the birds. Jerry Garcia's "Tiger" guitar had an Ebony Fingerboard on a Maple Neck, i could get that, but it wouldnt be the same without the birds. Do you think i could call them up and ask for the birds?

Here is what I am choosing between for the NECK-

Ebony Fingerboard on a Maple Neck-22 frets (wanted 24...oh well)- $148

Brazilian Rosewood Fingerboard (from what i hear, the nicest around) and im not sure what kind of neck i'd have on that.

between the two of those, which do you think would be best? Consider it to be a music for improvisation and jamming and such. thanks.
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/13/2002 7:58 pm
My opinion may not be what you want hear, but give it some thought, anyway. I suspect that if you're looking to get a guitar custom-made, and you're asking us what to get, it means that you haven't played long enough, on enough different instruments to know what suits you best. I recommend going out and playing any guitar you can get your hands on. Buy a couple of off-the-rack axes that appeal to you. It takes a long time for the subtle differences to become apparent, and even longer to be sure which characteristics are really important to you.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/14/2002 2:02 am
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
My opinion may not be what you want hear, but give it some thought, anyway. I suspect that if you're looking to get a guitar custom-made, and you're asking us what to get, it means that you haven't played long enough, on enough different instruments to know what suits you best. I recommend going out and playing any guitar you can get your hands on. Buy a couple of off-the-rack axes that appeal to you. It takes a long time for the subtle differences to become apparent, and even longer to be sure which characteristics are really important to you.

very well said. I had a pretty good idea what i wanted for the body (Amaranth body core Curly Western Maple top- LP Stlye Peghead, most likely Ebony Fingerboard on Maple Neck, with some big Abalone figures. I'd have a Seymour Duncan Humbucker (im no heavy metaller but hey, need variety), a Fender Vintage Noiseless pickup, and a Tele pickup.

But you are right, of course- i've played 9 guitars in my life so far (being only 14 y/o)

my 2-

Squier Strat - Decent beginners strat, big flaws in tuning stability, will become my tool of experiment when i get a new electric .

Guild DC-1 Acoustic/Electric - Nice, prolly won't buy another acoustic for another 10 years.

the others-

Epiphone LP standard - nice and easy feel to the neck, kind of akward body shape, no cutaway on top irritated me.

Martin acoustic- (not sure specifically which kind of martin, it was a standard dreadnought) not as good as my guild.

Fender Stand/Strat - Better than my Squier, but not much! Didn't seem to be all too much better, but it was a little.

Jasmine acoustic - sucked.

Stan/ Fat Strat - More versatile than Standard Strat.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Very sweet, but still didnt have the DC...

Fender Super Strat- with EMG pickups ( i think thats what they are called) this thing was an experiment by some Japanese guy (its my guitar instructors guitar, he bought it from some guy), its got like an American Strat Neck, and alot of other cool stuff.

i probably have played others, but these are the 9 i remember clearly. Overall? I haven't found my dream guitar yet, which is why i hoped to look in the custom guitar line.
# 10
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
07/14/2002 4:48 am
Gee Incidents, you just missed the bargin deal of a lifetime, Tiger was sold at auction last month for the tidy sum of $850,000 ($957,500 after commission), Wolf went for $789,500 total, Man, I wonder if they threw in a free set of strings with those purchases?

Hey, you do understand that Warmoth is a parts dealer right? A nice body with exotic wood, a neck with custom inlays and a good finish is going to cost the better part of a $1000 from Warmoth, if you want the "extras" like hardware, pickups and assembly I'm sure they'll be happy to take care of you, for a "reasonable" fee, I love custom guitars, but be aware that unless you get a "NAME", resell is pennies on the dollar.

Keep on Truckin
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/14/2002 6:32 pm
Originally posted by Incidents Happen ... Epiphone LP standard - nice and easy feel to the neck, kind of akward body shape, no cutaway on top irritated me...Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Very sweet, but still didnt have the DC...[/B]
LOL Another player who needs a Yamaha SG or SBG series guitar!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/15/2002 1:03 am
Originally posted by pstring
Hey, you do understand that Warmoth is a parts dealer right? A nice body with exotic wood, a neck with custom inlays and a good finish is going to cost the better part of a $1000 from Warmoth, if you want the "extras" like hardware, pickups and assembly I'm sure they'll be happy to take care of you, for a "reasonable" fee, I love custom guitars, but be aware that unless you get a "NAME", resell is pennies on the dollar.

Keep on Truckin

crap! that sucks man! i was dreaming about a guitar like that foreever. totally blew me away...are you sure it would cost me over a grand?
# 13
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
07/15/2002 7:13 am
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Incidents Happen
...are you sure it would cost me over a grand?

If it don't cost over a grand, then Warmoth must have become a charity organization, scan their site and pick out what you want, contact them and get a price, you'll either be pleasantly suprised, or possibly in shock, TANSTAAFL....
# 14
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/15/2002 7:12 pm
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Incidents Happen
...are you sure it would cost me over a grand?

If it don't cost over a grand, then Warmoth must have become a charity organization, scan their site and pick out what you want, contact them and get a price, you'll either be pleasantly suprised, or possibly in shock, TANSTAAFL....

im not sure if you realize which one im goin after. a wolf lookalike, not tiger...
# 15
David Gilmour
David Gilmour
07/16/2002 7:09 pm
Actually, 14 months is closer to 8.05 % (14.5 years is 174 months, 14 / 174 = 0.080459770114942528735632183908046)

Sorry to be a jerk about it, but the 12% thing kinda bothered me.
see you on the dark side of the moon
# 16
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/17/2002 5:10 pm
Well, the total cost for the lefty hum-sing-sing jazmaster I'm getting from warmoth is about 750/800.... that's body, neck, pickguard, all the electronics (im buying them from Stewart macDonald, better deals http://www.stewmac.com).

If you have never worked with a guitar before it may be a better idea to have a tech install the neck, tremolo etc, but that should only cost you a little bit of money. The wiring is all straightforward and is worth the pain for the academics.

I'm not sure if they do birds but they do dots, trapezoids, squares, sharkteeth, etc. You don't really NEED the birds though, it's just a cosmetic thing. Oh and they do SG bodies, they should be in the online catalog under guitar bodies with all the other shillouttes. They also do 24 frets, but it impedes on the neck p/u. If you call and talk to them though, they might be able to do something about that.

yes i know, the birds are really optional, but i'd like them, because im certainly not getting dots (if i do choose to go custom). I might pick up an American Strat, and if i like it, buy it, and go custom later, when my guitar tech skills are up (i plan on experimenting with all that stuff on my Squier Strat when i get a new guitar). I checked out Stew Mac, they don't seem to have as much stuff.
Yes, i want a 24 fret neck, but i want it the same length as a fender, 25.5" i think it is. that shouldnt be too hard, technically it would just be a Gibson style neck, but as long as a fender.

This is what i have in mind for a custom guitar (everything almost i will list)
Body: Amaranth (Purpleheart) core, Curly Western Maple (i believe also known as Quilt Maple) making an Orangish color on it.
Neck- 24 fret Ebony fingerboard on maple neck, with custom abalone eagle-shape birds.
pickups - i'd just get three fender style pickups probably.
no pickguard- rear routed.
peghead would be LP style.
volume and tone knobs - i'd get gold ones...

only thing is, i don't know much about transistors and capacitors or whatever and all that yet, so im likely to hold off on the custom guitar thing until later, unless i can get somebody else to do it.
# 17
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
07/18/2002 7:54 am
What was that hold hamburger joints jingle, Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us.... well who stocks purpleheart and quilted maple bodies? Special stuff costs special prices, abalone bird inlays costs real money except when it's done in a SE Asian guitar mill, I have a friend that does inlay work, you could easily spend a couple of hundred on material alone, nice custom guitars should have a high quality finish, right? What kind of money you think that can run? A proper finish takes about 6-8 weeks to do by anyone who will really do a quality job. Incidents, I ain't trying to talk you out of anything you want to do, just want to make sure you stay realistic, the good stuff cost money even when you bargin hunt... start stuffing that money under the mattress,you're a hardworking guy, you'll accomplish anything you set your mind too, I'm sure of that......
# 18
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/18/2002 6:51 pm
What was that hold hamburger joints jingle, Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us.... well who stocks purpleheart and quilted maple bodies? Special stuff costs special prices, abalone bird inlays costs real money except when it's done in a SE Asian guitar mill, I have a friend that does inlay work, you could easily spend a couple of hundred on material alone, nice custom guitars should have a high quality finish, right? What kind of money you think that can run? A proper finish takes about 6-8 weeks to do by anyone who will really do a quality job. Incidents, I ain't trying to talk you out of anything you want to do, just want to make sure you stay realistic, the good stuff cost money even when you bargin hunt... start stuffing that money under the mattress,you're a hardworking guy, you'll accomplish anything you set your mind too, I'm sure of that......

what i have in mind right now is, instead of getting a custom guitar right away, i will most likely purchase an American Strat (3 tone sunburst).

How do you do inlays? Are they glued onto the neck? I'd be interested in learning to do them myself, considering the price, plus i'd like to make sure they are done exactly to my liking.
# 19
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/18/2002 6:57 pm
...but, for those of us who don't have as eclectic tastes (koa body w/coat of black paint, maple neck w/ebony fretboard, dot inlays), it's a damn good deal. Especially if you're a lefty and no one makes your favorite body styles left handed.

why would you want to put black paint on a beautiful koa body?

I totally agree with the Maple neck, ebony fingerboard, thats a good choice, dot inlays are too boring for me, personally.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.