Nylon strings.

sparkyoneonetwo
Sparky Foxx
sparkyoneonetwo
Sparky Foxx
12/26/2015 1:09 am
To my surprise I got two brand new guitar for Christmas today and a years subscription to this site(best Christmas ever). Both guitars are acoustic one with steel strings one with nylon stings. Been playing them both pretty much all day and I've found that I don't really care for nylon stings much not for the way they sound but I find them to be way to slippery. It's awkward to play and I'm just not a fan of the nylon. Would it be safe for the nylon strung guitar to put a set of steel strings on it??
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/26/2015 5:35 pm
Merry Christmas & welcome to GT. :)
Originally Posted by: sparkyoneonetwoWould it be safe for the nylon strung guitar to put a set of steel strings on it??

That's usually not a good idea. Most nylon string guitars are made to withstand the tension of nylon strings which are typically a lot lower than steel alloy strings.

Another potential problem is that the tuning posts, the frets & bridge on nylon string guitars is sometimes softer & can really be chewed up by steel strings.

Maybe you can trade it for another piece of gear? :)

Hope this helps! Best of success with learning & playing guitar!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
sparkyoneonetwo
Sparky Foxx
sparkyoneonetwo
Sparky Foxx
12/26/2015 10:56 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
That's usually not a good idea. Most nylon string guitars are made to withstand the tension of nylon strings which are typically a lot lower than steel alloy strings.

Thanks for the answer. That pretty much what I had expected to hear just wanted to find out for sure.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.