Another Axl Rant

Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
07/07/2002 2:59 pm
On begining my theory adventure earlier this year i think ive come a long way, I can play in key, im getting to grips with what chords sound good together and i can even predict where some songs are going on hearing them for the first time.
But in learning my scales Ive come across major flaws in peoples methods. I mean you guys have been great but theres things i believe should be emphasised when asked about. For example, origonally i thought scales were for praticing fingering and technique, not as the basis of whole songs. I thought that guitarists played solos independantly and that if it was c Major scale that wasnt because the guitarist purposly stuck to those notes it was cos they happened to be the dominant notes in his solo.
Also that while,

---12------14--15
---12--13------15
---12------14----

may be the G major scale its only a small part of it. This in reflection is really obvious but to me it wasnt. Id think no solo is based on those few notes in that one position!! I thought that the first bunch of notes on frets 1 to 3 were A for example and that 4 to 6 would be B, As bar chords ascended in this manner. I couldnt understand how a C major pattern may begin on the fifth fret while a D major pattern could be on the 4th fret, below it!

Also, no where in the hours i spent looking at major and minor scales did it say the patterns were identical- hence majors having relative minors etc. Especailly in terms of the pentatonic, i kept coming across the same patterns but with different names!

With modes, I think, the point is really to give scales other names to help link them, and that the modes are there to help you see the link between different scales.

I think theres a myth surrounding theory that its difficult and that its in some way cheating! take my pals at my pub that play guitar, none of them know or have even looked into theoretical ideas, why? because they believe guitar is about feeling!.. well before i started learning scales people must have portraid my guitar sounds are awful, i didnt feel bad i was just constantly outta tune!

Hmm.. dont know if its possible to reply to this but i just wanted to get some things off my chest!

dont worry i'll continue to ask crazy music questions!
# 1
cecikane
cecikane
07/09/2002 9:55 am
Dude,
names don't matter; modes don't matter; scales don't matter; these are just tools just like effects; people overuse them, become dependent on them. if you know your basic major you have it all right there; start your cmaj scale from the third scale tone and see where that leads you; just experiment with it; look what Bach did with a basic major scale over and over and over again; don't get hung up on theory, numbers and crap like that; you'll get bored and bore the people around you; Listen to Zappa, Stevie Ray, Page (sloppy but so what); don't listen to malmsteen-he's just fast-big deal;
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/18/2002 8:32 pm
---12------14--15
---12--13------15
---12------14----

may be the G major scale its only a small part of it. "

you only have 3 lines, am i to assume that the strings are

D
A
E

in which case it would be wrong...or am i to guess that you happened to choose

E
B
G

which would be right?

also, have you ever tried to play like the A Major Scale over an F major song, and just impliment the F note into A Major? a scale is really just an idea, a general idea, since there are no rules in music.
# 3
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
07/21/2002 6:06 pm
Hey Axl, I got an idea. The reason a lot of the stuff your seeing on the net as different names and stuff is because half of its wrong! There are a lot af people out there who certainly know what there doing, and others who dont have a clue, so be careful about learning your theory off the net.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 4
VooDew5
VooDew5
07/24/2002 11:53 pm
Originally posted by Josh Redstone
Hey Axl, I got an idea. The reason a lot of the stuff your seeing on the net as different names and stuff is because half of its wrong! There are a lot af people out there who certainly know what there doing, and others who dont have a clue, so be careful about learning your theory off the net.

This is so true....The biggest problem with explaining theory is this: Those that understand it, relate to it's simplicity, but, there's no simple way to explain it...The moment you have the epiphany of understanding, you'll without a doubt recognize it...

VooDew5
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.