Let's get interesting.

JohnEve
JohnEve
07/04/2002 5:25 pm
Ok then all you gear nutters!

I'm fairly new to the world of electronics, and still kiss my acoustic guitar goodnight. She's the sweetest sounding thing I know, but I'm gradually beginning to see the attraction of my new (second hand) squire strat. Can't knock it 'til I've tried it.

My question to you is...
Whats the point of pedals? Ok this is fairly broad, but come on - give me some incentive to part this hard cash. What can they give me that fiddling about with the tone knobs and equalisers can't.

And btw, what does 'tone' actually mean when associated with a knob? Can anyone give me a fairly simple explaination of what it's altering.

With expectation..

JohnEVE
# 1
dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
07/04/2002 6:09 pm
A tone knob is typically either a low-boost/pass, high-boost/pass or band boost/pass (for bass, treble and mid respectively). They're basically like EQ bands, but they're a lot wider.

As for the point of using FX... it's just to get more sounds out. Adding a subtle hint of a modulation effect (phaser, chorus, flanger, tremolo etc) can just add a little depth to the sound and lift it out of the mix.

Not using effects isn't bad, and using effects isn't necessarily good. It's down to how you want to sound.
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/05/2002 2:17 am
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot
A tone knob is typically either a low-boost/pass, high-boost/pass or band boost/pass (for bass, treble and mid respectively). They're basically like EQ bands, but they're a lot wider...
This is true of active tone controls, but the knobs on your guitar are usually passive controls that simply reduce the high-frequency content of the output.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/05/2002 2:25 am
Say you have a Hondo 20$ gutar and a 5 w crappy amp,
and you want the sound of a Gibson + a Dual Rectifier
at full boost. That is hard to fix with knobs.
Alot easier with pedals.
# 4
dot-dot-dot
dot-dot-dot
07/05/2002 9:15 am
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dot-dot-dot
[B]the knobs on your guitar are usually passive controls that simply reduce the high-frequency content of the output.

Hmm. And yet, somehow, that sounds like a low-pass filter to me. Sure, a passive one, but I didn't mention active vs passive at all... :)
Squeeze the day!

The Monkey FX Page - effect guides and handbuilt pedals.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/06/2002 1:24 am
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot
Hmm. And yet, somehow, that sounds like a low-pass filter to me. Sure, a passive one, but I didn't mention active vs passive at all... :)
A passive circuit can not provide boost. That requires amplification (gain).
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
James8831
James8831
07/07/2002 5:39 pm
As Lord. has mentioned (paraphrased) your tone knob simply drops the amount of treble in the signal produced by your guitar,in effect the pot (potentiometer) and capacitor [which are affected by the knob] filter out treble frequencies as you turn the knob down.

Early Telecasters/Broadcasters were sometimes used as bass guitars because their ability to filter treble out was so good (sic).

An effects unit/pedal will boost/alter the gain(etc) and add various effects such as mentioned by dot.dot.dot.

For example mc9mm's crappy Hondo and 5w amp put through a fairly decent effects processor will have the ability to sound like Hank Marvin in a cave or Korny guitarizt meets EVH at a very heavy metal festival in Bonkersland,given the limitations of the guitar/amp.

Effects processors are the cheaper way into getting lots of different FX for your money,but i prefer pedals as the effects in my effects box ain't that exciting/affecting..

If you listen to some Jimi Hendrix you'll get an idea of what quality pedals can do for your sound.

Effects pedal of choice..Wah..Voodoo Chile(Slight Return)....etc.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 7
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
07/08/2002 2:09 am
Well said all...any more questions? The main selling point (if there is a sale to be made here) is if you like it. Get in a store...try a distortion, phaser, wah, chorus, compression....and even a multi-effects unit. Sometimes the ear can understand better than the keyboard can explain.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.