question on learning a song

Greg@Sun
Full Access
Greg@Sun
Full Access
09/28/2015 3:16 pm
I have a question, when I have a song I want to learn with more than 1 guitar part, how does one learn to play that song on one guitar. For example, if there is a lead playing and a rhythm part how do you approach learning that song. I know multiple tracks are layered, but how do you break the song down when learning it? Thanks!
# 1
GT Staff
Administrator
GT Staff
Administrator
09/28/2015 6:07 pm
Originally Posted by: Greg@SunI have a question, when I have a song I want to learn with more than 1 guitar part, how does one learn to play that song on one guitar. For example, if there is a lead playing and a rhythm part how do you approach learning that song. I know multiple tracks are layered, but how do you break the song down when learning it? Thanks!

Hey Greg - there's no "right" answer for every song and your approach will differ slightly depending on the track you're targeting.

One thing to keep in mind is that guitar tracks (even if there are multiples ones) are usually rhythm dominant, which means the "thickness" of the track comes from the rhythm guitar.

That said, it isn't always the right answer to just play rhythm, but I'd advise learning that first. Once you've learned the rhythm, you can add lead parts or melody as you're able.

For example, I often find myself playing the lead portions during verses and bridges, while playing heavier rhythm during choruses or where a song needs to sound thick.

Hope this helps!
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/28/2015 7:53 pm
Originally Posted by: GT Staff
That said, it isn't always the right answer to just play rhythm, but I'd advise learning that first. Once you've learned the rhythm, you can add lead parts or melody as you're able.

I second this recommendation!

In most guitar based pop music (blues, country, rock) the guitar is an accompaniment instrument that supports the vocal melody. So learning to play rhythm the whole way through the song is the first priority.

Only after you know the rhythm part, then I'd say go back and learn the leads or any fills or melodies the guitar plays. Then learn to switch between rhythm and lead as necessary. With rhythm being the priority.

Another big clue: the guitar part usually only plays leads and fills when the vocals aren't the focal point. So the only time you really need to worry about lead playing is when the vocals aren't happening.

Great question. Hope these answers help!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.