Extract Strumming pattern for sheet music

Chris.bolduc
Chris.bolduc
09/24/2015 5:29 pm
Hi there;
I am only six months into this course and I am thinking everything is going very well... Except

and that was unexpected. The hardest thing to me right now is the strumming!

I know enough about the piano for example to know that the rhythm which I guess is what the strumming establishes, is fully noted in the sheet music.

But for the life of me, I can't seem to extract from the music sheet what the strumming pattern should be, even when I hear the instructor demonstrate what the pattern actually is, I can't see it in the music notation.

See in the attached file what I mean, This is "Sex & Candy".

Is there a place for a tutorial on how to get the strumming out of this?

Cheers and thank you very much
# 1
compart1
compart1
09/25/2015 2:02 pm
Chris.bolduc
Welcome to GuitarTricks
First, if you read the time signature that give you a clue... Rhythm is, IMO, subjective element of guitar music.. so if you have a time sig 4/4, try down strokes doing first strum hard and the other three lighter. Then try with up down strums. Then all up strums.
If you were to play a guitar duo, you would be doing the job of a drummer (Keeper of the Time)..
To copy an exact playing of another artist you would have to listen to their recording and tap out the beat of what you are hearing..
Some teachers and artist (or those that transpose them) are incorporating up and down strokes in there taps.
If you query this in instructor Chris Schlegel forum you will get a better explanation as he is also a piano player/instructor.
Good luck
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/25/2015 3:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Chris.bolduc
But for the life of me, I can't seem to extract from the music sheet what the strumming pattern should be, even when I hear the instructor demonstrate what the pattern actually is, I can't see it in the music notation.

The strumming is not explicitly indicated in the notation. The best option here is to directly ask the instructor for help! Mike Olekshy did this tune & you can post your question to him here:

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Hope this helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.