View post (Strings)

View thread

grinch3232
grinch3232
01/13/2016 1:22 am
Originally Posted by: neil78There's more difference by adjusting pick attack, how you fret, how you do tremolo, tone settings on the amp and guitar, and pickup choice than you'll ever hear in the strings.

In the end, I believe it's way better to use strings that are comfortable than worry about the 1% difference in tone a different string produces - at least on electric.

I hear what you are saying, but I have to disagree slightly. The sounds originates from the string and whatever you use to pluck it. If a string has a sound you don't like there is nothing you can do to make it better no matter how much you saturate your sound with effects. I think it is well worth the time and effort to try out many different strings to find the ones you like on that particular guitar. Picks can be changed on a whim and are cheap.

I think string gauge is about how it feels to you and how you play. If you have a heavy hand 7's likely won't work out for you. Conversely, if you have a very light touch 13's will sound lifeless and dull because you are just not hitting them hard enough to get them vibrating very well. And there is all in between.

Does gauge effect tone? Yes. Do you need to have huge strings to get good tone? No. Play what feels good to your fingers and how you play.

I normally use 10's on my gibson style guitars. I like to pound on these a bit. 9's on my Ibanez, strat, and Wolfgang, because I tend to play faster and lighter on these guitars. I have one electric with 12's on it because it is tuned down and it is a blast just pounding the crap out of it like it is an acoustic. :)

The strat is my newest guitar. I have 9's on it now but will likely try 10's on next string change and see how I like it.