Floyd Rose HELP NEEDED!

icebreaker1588
icebreaker1588
04/19/2015 4:14 am
So I finally got my new guitar last week. It's a

Chapman ML-1 BEA

I'm in love with so many things about this guitar. It sounds so good and the photos do not in any way give it's beauty justice. You would really have to see it in person to understand! I have the option still to return it which is why I gave this new company a chance in the first place.

I know how opinionated people can get over brands or floyd rose vs fixed bridge, but I'm not at all interested in that kind of nonsense. I just need help with what I have going on here.

So to the point... the floyd rose system is, well kinda interesting. It takes a bit of work, but I have the time and patience to deal with it. I do not have experience with it at all so I have a question.

When I completely dump it or if i push down the tremolo bar several times it comes back flat by quite a bit. Should I be looking at this being a major issue with these bridges or is there a way to set this up so that it does not do this?

I will add in that yes the strings are very much completely stretched out and played for hours. When I pull the tremolo bar out and then release it the strings go back in tune.
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/19/2015 1:20 pm
Originally Posted by: icebreaker1588
When I completely dump it or if i push down the tremolo bar several times it comes back flat by quite a bit. Should I be looking at this being a major issue with these bridges or is there a way to set this up so that it does not do this?

No, it is not a major issue with the bridges if it is set up right. When I had guitars with a Floyd (and I've had a few), they were very reliable in tuning once it's set up right. The bridge is a floating mechanism which means that the string tension has to equally offset the spring tension. If that tension is off, you will have tuning issues. There are a number of factors such as tension versus string diameter (ie - .09's or .10's), how many springs (I believe I saw this one came with a spare spring. Once the right tension is struck and the bridge balances (floats), you're all good. Newness of strings is important too ut you'd said you've played it for a good few hours.

You may still want to each of your strings a tug to stretch them. Just be careful to not tug too hard.

A good set up tech should be able to get this done for you.
# 2
icebreaker1588
icebreaker1588
04/19/2015 11:00 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65No, it is not a major issue with the bridges if it is set up right. When I had guitars with a Floyd (and I've had a few), they were very reliable in tuning once it's set up right. The bridge is a floating mechanism which means that the string tension has to equally offset the spring tension. If that tension is off, you will have tuning issues. There are a number of factors such as tension versus string diameter (ie - .09's or .10's), how many springs (I believe I saw this one came with a spare spring. Once the right tension is struck and the bridge balances (floats), you're all good. Newness of strings is important too ut you'd said you've played it for a good few hours.

You may still want to each of your strings a tug to stretch them. Just be careful to not tug too hard.

A good set up tech should be able to get this done for you.

they are .10's setup with the original springs. haven't added or subtracted any.
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/19/2015 11:15 pm
Originally Posted by: icebreaker1588they are .10's setup with the original springs. haven't added or subtracted any.

Were these the strings that came with the guitar?
# 4
icebreaker1588
icebreaker1588
04/22/2015 9:59 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Were these the strings that came with the guitar?

yeah. and supposedly they were Daddario strings but im thinking they weren't cuz i changed them out for 9/42's and there was an EXTREME difference in the stiffness.
# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/22/2015 10:55 pm
Originally Posted by: icebreaker1588yeah. and supposedly they were Daddario strings but im thinking they weren't cuz i changed them out for 9/42's and there was an EXTREME difference in the stiffness.

I always had good luck with D'Addario XL .09's on my Floyd guitars. Hopefully that will keep you balanced and in tune.
# 6
icebreaker1588
icebreaker1588
04/22/2015 11:20 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65I always had good luck with D'Addario XL .09's on my Floyd guitars. Hopefully that will keep you balanced and in tune.

Well I can now tune it really good and with a lot more ease but it still goes out of tune after using the tremolo bar and then have to hit it again for it to snap back. I'll probably have my fun with the bar and then end up blocking it with a wood piece later on down the road.

The thing with this guitar is you cannot find something that's really similar. I love not having a tone knob. It's really really easy to roll off some of the highs with a volume knob. The positioning of it is so perfect and completely out of your way no matter how or where you want to strum. The set thru neck that's been shaved down a lot is THE most comfortable thing i have ever put my hands on. Pickups are brilliant. Aesthetics are one of a kind. You can get an ibanez with the same pattern/color but it's not bare wood. I don't care for laminated guitars for the most part. And now that I have it all dialed in right it's so damn easy to play. I think im gonna keep it :)
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.