demo..now what?

nechako
nechako
06/21/2002 8:11 pm
so you have you demo made, now what,where,who,when,why. I just finished another demo and these questions rattle around the tin can of my mind. Any ideas?
# 1
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
06/21/2002 8:38 pm
i think you need to be more specific, are you after anything in perticular?
Personally i'd mail some copies of it to the music rags, local and national (the ones that are show casing new talent) radio, and also some independant record lables (your going to need to do your research, but if you'r in the uk, send copies to poeple like; Fearce little panda, Tug boat etc etc). I recon you'r much more likely to get someone to listen to you (that's my guess, and it could be wrong).
Also try to visit these independant lables in person, being good with poeple helps. Just be freindly, and try to get your demo listened to.
You need to be patient, you might not hear anything for months. Jarviss from Pulp was talking about his first demo for john peel wich resurfaced 12 years later, for him to start getting sucsess.
# 2
nechako
nechako
06/21/2002 8:41 pm
I am in canada, British Columbia, are there any websites that could point me in the right dirrection?

# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
06/21/2002 11:16 pm
Nowadays, lots of recording artist have made a self produced CD before being signed...
# 4
nechako
nechako
06/23/2002 2:01 am
thats my plan, for now I have been handing out my demo tape to people,..I receive good feedback people seem willing to give it a chance, but later on I'll master a cd, probally with cubase.
# 5
Blaksmith
Blaksmith
06/23/2002 11:32 am
Well, you COULD do like The Barenaked Ladies did and go down to the speakers corner and play something there. If it finds favour with the folks at the T.V. station, it could end up on air. That being said, if the people that hear it, like it, you might get other interest from somewhere else, like an indie or something. Dude, it's a long shot but for the cost of a loonie, you just never know.

You will probably find a station ( CHUM Group ) in Vancouver. ' The New ?? ' (?? = the last 2 call letters of the station ) I am in Ontario so you'll have to look it up on line. I am pretty certain that CHUM has a station out there.

Aside from that, Indies are your best best. They are looking for the next big act and will be more likely to listen to your stuff. Artists that are currently selling records will not likely listen for fear of a law suit later. If something they come up with after they hear your demo sounds like your stuff, it could lead to a nasty court battle.

Send something to National Public Radio in the U.S. Get a list of stations and send your stuff to a host in each station (usually evenings or overnight hosts) and you may get some play. They don't play commercials and are quite open to new artists and original music.

Take a look at C.B.C. and what they offer for programming, your music might fit there. Try alternative or college stations... you get the idea.

Cheers! Best to you... That takes balls. Learn from what you are told and make sure your skin is thick. Most of all, bad or good, make sure they spell your name right!

:D
# 6
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/23/2002 11:32 pm
nothing is a better influence than word of mouth- make your demo tape a birthday present to somebody, or a christmas present (when christmas comes around), if you are heard, and have talent, you'll find that a lot of people saying how good you are to their friends and offering a copy could be better than on a TV station (if they put you on the air at a crappy time, that is). good luck!
# 7
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
06/24/2002 4:58 pm
If you have some of your records MP3ed you can upload a song or two for us to listen. Personally, I am very curious to hear different bands that are in the beggining
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 8
nechako
nechako
06/24/2002 5:19 pm
I am having trouble getting the sound recorder on my computer to register any sounds, this is a windows based system with a basic sound card. By fall I will have my own website dedicated to this project, getting musicians from the shadows heard.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.