Second Look

mbgold78
Full Access
mbgold78
Full Access
01/26/2015 11:49 pm
Hi Im Mike

I had 1 semester of beginner guitar in high school, and I really enjoyed it but I didn't have access to a good guitar and lessons. Fast forward 20 years, my 10 year old niece is playing the guitar, and it was fun to play it. So I ran out and bought a Yahama FG730 acoustic and starting cutting my teeth with you tube videos. But somehow I found a website called Jamplay. To make a long story short there website wouldn't take my credit card and I signed up here. I am very happy with this website. I can't imagine theres better for the core learning system. 3/4 thru the first level and having fun.
Thanks everyone.
# 1
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
01/27/2015 5:57 am
Hey Mike!

Jamplay is considered to be Guitartricks competition. And most people say that Jamplay and Guitartricks are the two best sites out there, each with its own advantages.

But for your situation, you definitely chose the right site. Guitartricks is much better for beginners in my opinion, has a much more structured lesson plan, and you can choose which path you want to go down after the core learning (blues, country, or rock).

Which path do you think you'll choose when you get to the fork in the road?
# 2
mbgold78
Full Access
mbgold78
Full Access
01/27/2015 8:33 pm
Good Question. My favorite music is classic rock so I think I would like to explore that genre. Though I'm questioning about whether I can use my acoustic or I need to purchase an electric at that time. No big deal because I want one anyway. Also I would like to explore blues. And ideally time permitting, I will hit every path, just because I can :)
# 3
compart1
compart1
01/27/2015 9:30 pm
Hi mbgold78...
You can learn guitar on either.. Same note, same scales, same chords. You will most likely get GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)anyway. While you are learning on your acoustic, you can study up on what type brand/style of guitar you might like to purchase. Try everything you can get your hands on. Of course with electric you need an amp.. That is another thing you may want to study up on..
Have fun on your guitar quest..

PS.. Welcome to Guitar Tricks
# 4
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
01/29/2015 6:57 am
mbgold,

you can definitely use an acoustic to learn, but it will be so much more fun to use an electric! Not only that, but many of the things you'll learn in the rock course are about tone and getting that crunchy sound from your guiatar. So using an acoustic will not be good for learning to obtain that tone, palm muting, pinch harmonics, etc..

If you're looking for the best electric guitar for less than $500, I would high recommend a MIM (made in Mexico) Fender Stratocaster. It's made in Mexico, but it's at Fender's actual factory in Mexico. It's not like it's a cheap knock off at all. Many experienced players buy a MIM and simply switch the pickups (not that the stock pickups are even bad) out. And I'll take that over an American made with stock pickups any day. But that's just me.

PRS is another good option, but try it out first and make sure you like the feel of it.

But if you're a Les Paul man, Gibson Les Pauls are gonna run you at least $2,000 (brand new). And keep in mind that Les Pauls have skinnier frets, not leaving as much room to play especially on the higher notes. Epiphone has a really cheap version and they're not bad for the price, but they're not good either.

And another great option would be an Ibanez. You can get an amazing Ibanez for around $700 and their craftsmanship is second to none.

But above all, try all these guitars out for a while. And don't just buy something because it's the only kind in Guitar Center. You can have them order ANYTHING you want in pretty much any color. And I would definitely go through them if you're ordering new, because they have a 30 day policy where you can return the guitar for a full refund for any reason at all. So this will give you a month to make sure you like it.
# 5
Johnmorris4
Johnmorris4
01/30/2015 10:57 am
Originally Posted by: mbgold78Hi Im Mike

I had 1 semester of beginner guitar in high school, and I really enjoyed it but I didn't have access to a good guitar and lessons. Fast forward 20 years, my 10 year old niece is playing the guitar, and it was fun to play it. So I ran out and bought a Yahama FG730 acoustic and starting cutting my teeth with you tube videos. But somehow I found a website called Jamplay. To make a long story short there website wouldn't take my credit card and I signed up here. I am very happy with this website. I can't imagine theres better for the core learning system. 3/4 thru the first level and having fun.
Thanks everyone.

I was a member of Jamplay and from what I have learned from here is all about teaching style. GT starts with a root foundation and builds from there as opposed to JP seems to be more geared towards the intermediate student.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.