View post (head/cabinet question)

View thread

maggior
maggior
01/09/2015 6:20 pm
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777I'm having trouble finding information on this:

My Blackstar HT-1R (combo amp) can act as a head if I connect it to a cabinet. My question is this: for pedals that should go after the overdrive (like delay) can I put pedals in between the head (my Blackstar) and the cabinet?

I would have my guitar connect to my wah pedal, my wah pedal connected to the head, the head connected to delay, and the delay connect to the cabinet. Does that work?

Yes, Chris is correct, but I think some emphasis is necessary...you'd NEVER want to do that!!! Depending on the power output of your amp and the volume you have it set to, you could blow the pedal. Since your amp wouldn't see the proper load (the speaker), it could blow your amp also.

It's more than it won't work or sound good, you can do serious damage to your gear.

The effect loop that Chris mentioned allows you to put effects between the pre-amp (the part of your amp with the tone and volume controls) and the power-amp (the part of your amp connected to the speaker).

Some effects work best in the effect loop, others between the guitar and the amp input. This becomes important if you are using your amp for your distortion. If you set your amp for a clean signal and use an outboard pedal for your distortion, then entire pedal chain can go in between the guitar and amp. Of course there's a suggested order in which they should be connected :).

If you search the forums and/or internet for "guitar pedal chain order" or "guitar effect loop" you'll find detailed information.