View post (How old were you when you started playing guitar?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
12/29/2014 11:32 am
I started playing guitar voluntarily at the age of 21. Prior to that, I had played both Bass Guitar, Keyboards and Electric Guitar in school but only because it was an obligatory part of it (and I hated it back then... Funny how much that has changed...). I bought the coolest guitar I could afford, and practiced as much as possible, trying to learn from books, but without any success. Then I looked on Youtube, and found some lessons by a guy named Justin Sandercoe (I'm pretty sure I've misspelled his name...), made a bit of progress since I could now see how to actually hold the guitar and play simple stuff like a D Major Chord. But Youtube is horribly badly structured for learning anything in a step-by-step way, so I ended up confused by all the things I wanted to learn to do. And by accident, I ended up clicking on one of the old "Guitar Tricks Channel" videos, learned a couple of tricks from some of those videos, and decided to try out the lessons offered by a free membership... I made a lot more progress here than with Youtube (not that the lessons I found on Youtube were bad. Youtube itself was the problem). And that's pretty much it. I'm still here, practicing as much as I can, even when more important stuff like exams is getting in the way :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...