How old were you when you started playing guitar?

jang7
jang7
12/26/2014 2:38 pm
So i'm new here and to the guitar and i thought it'd be cool and informative to get input from others on when you started playing, how long it took you to start really changing chords smoothly, how often you practiced leading up to being able to get effecient and smooth at changing them chords, and how long you've been playing?

Me? I'm 50 and just starting the journey. I can say this so far, i've gained an even greater respect for those who can really tear a guitar up!
# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
12/26/2014 8:25 pm
Welcome to Guitar Tricks!

Check out this blog post when you get a chance:

The Ten Best Reasons To Take Up The Guitar—At Any Age
https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/index.php?p=The-Ten-Best-Reasons-to-Take-Up-the-Guitar

Cheers,
James
GT Admin
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
jang7
jang7
12/27/2014 12:33 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks AdminWelcome to Guitar Tricks!

Check out this blog post when you get a chance:

The Ten Best Reasons To Take Up The Guitar—At Any Age
https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/index.php?p=The-Ten-Best-Reasons-to-Take-Up-the-Guitar

Cheers,
James
GT Admin

Nice article! Thanks for sharing that.
# 3
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/28/2014 1:15 am
I started when I was 25. I'm 26 now (it's been just over a year), and I've improved more than I ever thought I would.

I actually started with the video game (Rocksmith), and I bought a cheap Epiphone just to play the game. I though it would be fun and maybe I'd learn very simple songs. But after 2 months I realized that I was a quick learner and I stopped playing the game and started practicing more seriously. Then I joined Guitar Tricks which has helped me a lot.

I don't play much rhythm, but I had all my basic chords and bar chords down after a few months.

Good luck!
# 4
jang7
jang7
12/29/2014 4:56 am
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777I started when I was 25. I'm 26 now (it's been just over a year), and I've improved more than I ever thought I would.

I actually started with the video game (Rocksmith), and I bought a cheap Epiphone just to play the game. I though it would be fun and maybe I'd learn very simple songs. But after 2 months I realized that I was a quick learner and I stopped playing the game and started practicing more seriously. Then I joined Guitar Tricks which has helped me a lot.

I don't play much rhythm, but I had all my basic chords and bar chords down after a few months.

Good luck!

Thanks. How often and long would you generally practice?
# 5
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/29/2014 11:32 am
I started playing guitar voluntarily at the age of 21. Prior to that, I had played both Bass Guitar, Keyboards and Electric Guitar in school but only because it was an obligatory part of it (and I hated it back then... Funny how much that has changed...). I bought the coolest guitar I could afford, and practiced as much as possible, trying to learn from books, but without any success. Then I looked on Youtube, and found some lessons by a guy named Justin Sandercoe (I'm pretty sure I've misspelled his name...), made a bit of progress since I could now see how to actually hold the guitar and play simple stuff like a D Major Chord. But Youtube is horribly badly structured for learning anything in a step-by-step way, so I ended up confused by all the things I wanted to learn to do. And by accident, I ended up clicking on one of the old "Guitar Tricks Channel" videos, learned a couple of tricks from some of those videos, and decided to try out the lessons offered by a free membership... I made a lot more progress here than with Youtube (not that the lessons I found on Youtube were bad. Youtube itself was the problem). And that's pretty much it. I'm still here, practicing as much as I can, even when more important stuff like exams is getting in the way :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 6
jang7
jang7
12/30/2014 2:40 am
Originally Posted by: KasperowI started playing guitar voluntarily at the age of 21. Prior to that, I had played both Bass Guitar, Keyboards and Electric Guitar in school but only because it was an obligatory part of it (and I hated it back then... Funny how much that has changed...). I bought the coolest guitar I could afford, and practiced as much as possible, trying to learn from books, but without any success. Then I looked on Youtube, and found some lessons by a guy named Justin Sandercoe (I'm pretty sure I've misspelled his name...), made a bit of progress since I could now see how to actually hold the guitar and play simple stuff like a D Major Chord. But Youtube is horribly badly structured for learning anything in a step-by-step way, so I ended up confused by all the things I wanted to learn to do. And by accident, I ended up clicking on one of the old "Guitar Tricks Channel" videos, learned a couple of tricks from some of those videos, and decided to try out the lessons offered by a free membership... I made a lot more progress here than with Youtube (not that the lessons I found on Youtube were bad. Youtube itself was the problem). And that's pretty much it. I'm still here, practicing as much as I can, even when more important stuff like exams is getting in the way :)

Did you do, or are you doing, the Core fundamental courses?
# 7
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
12/30/2014 4:27 am
jang,

I was completely obsessed (and still am). I usually practice around 3 hours every day. Any longer than that, and I'm not very productive. My hand gets too tired and sore after a few hours.
# 8
jang7
jang7
12/30/2014 5:36 am
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777jang,

I was completely obsessed (and still am). I usually practice around 3 hours every day. Any longer than that, and I'm not very productive. My hand gets too tired and sore after a few hours.

Yeah, i've been splitting practice up in 20-30 minute sessions 2-3 times in the evening, a bit more on weekends or days off, just for that reason. As i started this adventure i kept reading and hearing about finger/hand soreness for beginners and none of it was exaggerated! :)

How long did it take you to start smoothly changing chords with your amount of practice?
# 9
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/30/2014 8:35 am
Originally Posted by: jang7Did you do, or are you doing, the Core fundamental courses?

I did the GF1 and GF2 courses a couple of times after signing getting full access. I think I've been through the old ones about 3 times each, because there was some stuff that just didn't stick the first or second time.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 10
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/30/2014 8:41 am
Originally Posted by: bbzswa777jang,

Funny. I only have one practice session a day, but I practice for as long as I have time for. My fingers don't get tired or sore from practicing for several hours, unless I'm doing palm muting or trills at full speed. Then it starts to hurt a bit... If I practice, take a 15 minute break and then pick up the guitar again and continue to practice, that's when the fingertips start to hurt like hell...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 11
billcass
billcass
12/30/2014 11:19 am
Originally Posted by: KasperowI did the GF1 and GF2 courses a couple of times after signing getting full access. I think I've been through the old ones about 3 times each, because there was some stuff that just didn't stick the first or second time.

Pretty much ditto, I went through GF1 and GF2, the old version. I think GF2 is the same, I think they only redid GF1, which I just completed again.

I know my biggest problem is, I'm just not practicing enough. I keep hearing 2 to 3 hours per day, at least 5 days a week. I'm probably luck to get 3 or 4 hours a week in total, so, guess that's the first place I need to step it up. Need to commit more time, more often.
# 12
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
12/30/2014 2:34 pm
I started playing in March of 2013 at the age of 38. Something I just wanted to do and never did. I picked up a fender starter set ($200) that had all I needed, then come home and signed up for GT. It has been great. I now play 30 minutes to 3 hours each day depending on available time. I also have upgraded to a MIM HSS Strat, Mustang amp, BOSS GT-001 Processor and studio monitors. I am pleased with my progression. Most of the time if I start to stall, I switch it up a bit and try different scales, or different genre of music and it kick starts me.

Now I jam online with friends almost nightly using jamkazam and have really gotten into blues and improv.

GT is the only lessons I have ever taken and they were great. I will be re-upping my membership soon even if for all the songs alone!
------------------------------------
Learning guitar, one chord at a time...
# 13
Jwlehman1
Jwlehman1
12/30/2014 4:34 pm
I am 55, and have always wanted to be able to play. I bought a fende guitar at Guitar World about 10 months ago, and have barely touched it since. I just signed here at GT and am determined to move forward.

I am worried that I wont be able to move past the hurdle of being able to read music. It is encouraging to read post from others.

JW Lehman

Chief Warrant Officer-2

USMC Retired

# 14
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
12/30/2014 5:23 pm
I just recently have begun reading music. Luckily with guitar, you can start by reading tabs instead which has a very small learning curve.
------------------------------------
Learning guitar, one chord at a time...
# 15
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/31/2014 12:54 am
Originally Posted by: Jwlehman1I am 55, and have always wanted to be able to play. I bought a fende guitar at Guitar World about 10 months ago, and have barely touched it since. I just signed here at GT and am determined to move forward.

I am worried that I wont be able to move past the hurdle of being able to read music. It is encouraging to read post from others.

As a beginner you will want to start with Guitar Fundamentals 1 & 2. I haven't seen the remake of those courses but the versions I went through required zero music reading skills.

Have at it and have fun!!
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 16
haghj500
haghj500
12/31/2014 3:13 am
I started guitar at 13. I learned pretty quickly because I had already learned to play the piano for 2.5 years when I was 5 and 6 years old. Then I played clarinet in the school band for a couple years before I started guitar. I’ve been at it for 40 years now. I never got to play the drums when I was young and that really was my first love.

From what I’ve seen over the years it takes most people about 6 months to enjoy their playing and about a year for others to.

Another great source of the kind of information you are looking for is wildwoman1313. She has posted some very useful information in the Newsletter Articles section on this site.
# 17
jang7
jang7
12/31/2014 4:26 am
Originally Posted by: haghj500I started guitar at 13. I learned pretty quickly because I had already learned to play the piano for 2.5 years when I was 5 and 6 years old. Then I played clarinet in the school band for a couple years before I started guitar. I’ve been at it for 40 years now. I never got to play the drums when I was young and that really was my first love.

From what I’ve seen over the years it takes most people about 6 months to enjoy their playing and about a year for others to.

Another great source of the kind of information you are looking for is wildwoman1313. She has posted some very useful information in the Newsletter Articles section on this site.

Thanks for your input!
# 18
jang7
jang7
12/31/2014 4:42 am
Originally Posted by: KasperowI did the GF1 and GF2 courses a couple of times after signing getting full access. I think I've been through the old ones about 3 times each, because there was some stuff that just didn't stick the first or second time.

I'm currently slowly working through GF1. To channel Guns and Roses, "all i need is just a little patience". :) (with a truckload of practice).
# 19
jang7
jang7
12/31/2014 4:45 am
Originally Posted by: ThorfinnFriskenI started playing in March of 2013 at the age of 38. Something I just wanted to do and never did. I picked up a fender starter set ($200) that had all I needed, then come home and signed up for GT. It has been great. I now play 30 minutes to 3 hours each day depending on available time. I also have upgraded to a MIM HSS Strat, Mustang amp, BOSS GT-001 Processor and studio monitors. I am pleased with my progression. Most of the time if I start to stall, I switch it up a bit and try different scales, or different genre of music and it kick starts me.

Now I jam online with friends almost nightly using jamkazam and have really gotten into blues and improv.

GT is the only lessons I have ever taken and they were great. I will be re-upping my membership soon even if for all the songs alone!

Yeah, as i mentioned in another thread, GT is a wealth of information. Glad i subscribed to it. Kudos to those who made/make it happen!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.