View post (Scales, My Journey, Where am I going?)

View thread

icebreaker1588
icebreaker1588
12/09/2014 3:21 am
Originally Posted by: adir olf If you just decided to play one or two notes in different places while doing "pattern 1" does that make it in-valid?

Naw man I think that's GREAT if you have those connections memorized where you can hop around. If my understanding of scales is correct this will help you become more creative when creating licks because you are not hindered by your placement on the fretboard! My dad who has a music major and is a really good pianist told me to learn from his mistake and not confine yourself to one area. Memorize the whole thing and feel comfortable everywhere. There are so many different kinds of chords that can be played all over. If you know where all the notes are in that key you can more easily find a convenient way to bust into an improvised lick or run instead of only using those patterns! :cool:

When i first started memorizing these scales I would do only the given patterns and now im branching off and going to different places to cement in my head where (and what) those notes are.