New Member…Old Player

guitarwiz1
guitarwiz1
10/27/2014 4:32 pm
I’ve been faking playing guitar for 30+ years now. I started out with a beat-up six string that I bought in a second hand store… I didn’t know how to play it, but I knew for sure… That one guitar felt good in my hands, so I started rockin’… with the Hal Leonard Guitar Method: Book 1. I worked my way through the book and I had fun playing Aura Lee and Twinkle Twinkle Little star, but I still wasn’t rockin’.

I was off and on for a few years until I bought my first electric guitar. It was a series 10 p.o.s and the amp I bought had a six inch speaker and was a bigger p.o.s than the guitar. I still didn’t know how to play it but by this time I had discovered tablature. I started buying all the Guitar For Practicing Musician and Guitar World magazines I could get my hands on. (Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here was the first “real” song I learned.)

I learned a few songs but I was still off and on for quite a few years…until…My brother finally gave me a 1972 Gibson S.G guitar that he had hanging on his wall. It was all beat up, and it was missing the bridge and the tail piece. I fixed it up the best I could with my limited knowledge of fixing up guitars, but I did alright making it playable.

By this time (which was the late 80’s - early 90’s) I had upgraded my amp to a pawn shop 8” speaker Charvel. With the S.G and Guitar Magazine…(which I was going through like they were Playboys…meaning I only bought them for the tabs.)…I was a guitar playing fool. I learned a bunch of my favorite songs that I had always wanted to learn.

I’ve always thought I did a pretty good job with the songs I knew. I would go to friends / families houses and play along with all the songs I knew. (mostly AC /DC some Zeppelin and of course Iron Man.) The more beer they drank the better I sounded. The more beer I drank the better I “thought” I sounded…(good times.)

During the late 90’s my pawn shop amp had died and I ran out of duct tape, so I had to put the Gibson in the corner. I went to the local music store and bought a Fender Champion 110 and my first intermediate guitar. Which was and still is an Ibanez RG 250 DX. I discovered that one of my co-workers played drums, so we started hooking up. We talked about starting a band so when I got a fat income tax return I went out and bought me a Marshall AVT50 half stack. Things were going pretty good for a while and then life got in the way for both of us.

Moving forward to 2014...while playing Iron Man for the 4 millionth time. I started thinking about “What do I really know about the guitar.” I know a handful of chords and a bunch of two finger bar chord songs. I don’t even know what key half of those song are in. I know hindsight is 20/20 but looking back I realize that maybe I could have benefited if I actually read some of the articles in the guitar magazines…That’s why I’m here now.

I figure the best place to start is at the beginning. I’m about halfway through guitar fundamentals 1 and am really enjoying the lessons. I haven’t learned anything new yet, but I’m sure that will change as I move along.
I did however take a look at a couple of songs I thought I knew and learned a few things there. For instance: Boston’s Somkin’ actually has a guitar part during the keyboard solo. I’ve always faked it by thumping on the open A.

To help motivate myself in the learning process I decided it was time for a new guitar. I ended up getting an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro a couple of weeks ago. (awesome guitar BTW) One day I plan on buying a new roll of duct tape and see if I can get the Gibson going again. Hopefully in a few months I can get some of the rust of my fingers and start living up to my user name. :)

Peace!
# 1
compart1
compart1
10/27/2014 9:49 pm
Hey guitarwiz1..
Welcome to Guiartricks.. You can get all sorts of help here.. Probably even some more Duct tape uses..
Good Luck..Happy rocking
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2014 6:21 pm
Awesome story! You'll find everything you need here and it's never too late to get back and start learning.

I have been playing, teaching, and writing songs for over 20 years now. I still have to push myself, and learn new things all the time. It happens no matter where you are at, and nothing makes the process more enjoyable then having other people teach you new things and motivate you.

Welcome to Guitar Tricks and enjoy the journey! :cool:

- Douglas
Douglas Showalter
# 3
Frizzy Totay
Frizzy Totay
10/31/2014 6:02 pm
Originally Posted by: Douglas Showalter

I have been playing, teaching, and writing songs for over 20 years now.

- Douglas

You've been doing all that since you were one!!? Amazing.
# 4
mdestusalozie
mdestusalozie
08/16/2021 2:47 pm

Hello

# 5
mdestusalozie
mdestusalozie
08/16/2021 2:49 pm
Originally Posted by: mdestusalozie

Hello

just bought new acrostic guitar and I want to start leaning

# 6
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/18/2021 2:54 pm

Awesome story![br]Welcome, everyone!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 7
LynnS1951
LynnS1951
08/18/2021 10:20 pm

That's a wise and humble decision, Mister Wiz ! I'm over the moon with where I am after just four months on Guitar Fundamentals 1. (Song in the Key of D.) Lisa's songs work great for me. I'm happy when I can play along at 100% speed and even happier if I can also sing along. Really, if I stuck to my original goal, I'd just go off now and play easy songs from UG and music videos. But I'm starting to believe more is possible. And what a difference good calluses make! [br][br]Thanks, Lisa!![br]Lynn

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.