Where do I store my Acoustic?

icebreaker1588
icebreaker1588
09/06/2014 11:57 pm
I have 2 acoustic guitars. One, a basic level DX Martin the other is a really expensive Taylor.

The Martin regardless of the optimal choice is going to stay out at all times to quickly jam on...but i was wondering...

2 guitarists, one with 15 years of experience and the other with 30+ told me to store my Taylor outside of its case when it's sitting at home. Their rationale behind is because you don't want to expose it from one extreme temp to the other. This doesn't really make a lot of sense to me since i feel that wood needs time to be saturated with humidity/heat anyway and live in a very dry area. I've also looked around in forums and have repeatedly seen everyone say leave it in its case.

Any thoughts?

Here are my two beautiful children.

# 1
Henrik Linde
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Henrik Linde
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/10/2014 5:17 pm
Here's a quote from a maintenance guide on storing guitars.

" The easiest way to take care of your guitar is to store it properly. The more expensive the guitar, the better your storage should be. It is generally accepted that the air humidity should be neither too high nor too low, thus somewhere in the 45-55% range, and the temperature of the area should be about 65-75 °F. These two factors are the biggest threat to an instrument, because changes in moisture and temperature can cause permanent warping of the neck and other critical parts. For guitars made out of solid wood, it is advised to use a humidifier to prevent cracks and damage from weather change.

On the other hand, guitars made out of multi-layered(plywood) wood, typically in budget guitars, can withstand relatively more humidity and temperature changes. Keeping the guitar in a case away from direct sunlight can help with increasing the life of the guitar.

The surest way to keep your guitar in good shape is to remember this simple rule: Do not expose the guitar to any climate conditions that you would not want to be exposed to. If you always keep this in mind, then your instrument will likely last years and years.

You should avoid large changes in humidity. Like your body, the guitar gets used to the climate it is in, and suddenly changing it causes stress. Humidity is the most dangerous thing that attacks an instrument, because when wood gets wet, the cell walls become softer and it is more easily bent. Often, the strings themselves are enough to bend the neck. Also, if the humidity stays way too low, then the wood will crack and the structure will weaken.

Temperature on its own is less damaging to the guitar. Wood is generally tolerant to changes in temperature, and for the most part it expands and contracts together. Extreme temperatures, however, can cause serious damage, especially when combined with extreme humidity. Changes in temperature also affects the strings, especially nylon strings, and going into a different environment will almost always automatically detune the strings. Other areas to watch for temperature related damage are any glued joins, like where the neck meets the body, or the fretboard is attached to the neck.

Never expose your instrument to extreme temperatures for a long time. For instance, leaving your guitar in a car in the summer all day, or leaving it outside for the whole night are sure ways to completely destroy your instrument. Also keep the guitar out of direct sunlight as much as possible, because it makes the wood more brittle and it can destroy the color of the instrument.

Keeping your instrument in tune is another good way to make sure that you don't harm your instrument. Strings put certain amounts of tension on the neck which can cause it to bow if the guitar isn't kept in tune. It is also a good idea to make sure that you have a full set of strings on the guitar. "

Now, where's all of the above is very true, I find that the more you play your guitars the better they get, and a little bit of weathering only helps the character and tone. Especially acoustic guitars. This is obviously just my opinion and what I prefer for tones out of an acoustic guitar. If you keep them in a case or out of it I find doesn't really matter. IF the environment is somewhat regular.
One thing to consider if you hang your guitar on a wall is to not hang it on an "outside" wall. They change more in temperature etc.

Hope this provides somewhat of an answer to your question.

Regards,
Henrik
# 2
icebreaker1588
icebreaker1588
09/16/2014 12:01 am
Thanks a lot I really appreciate all that information!
# 3
RCB-CA-USA
RCB-CA-USA
09/16/2014 9:32 am
I use the Planet Waves Humidpak system on my Taylor. I always store the guitar in the case with the humid pack until I'm getting ready to play it. When I'm ready to play it, I take it out of the case and I usually let it acclimate for a bit, sometimes not, no difference in sound or playbility. And, I always lay the guitar flat when it's in its case. When it's laid sideways or standing up, it effects the action because the setup is on the razor's edge so any variation will cause fret buzz.

When the guitar arrived new, it was dry as a bone. I put the Humidpaks in and a few days later, perfect. Zero issues with the guitar and the guitar sounded dramatically better after being properly humidified. With the packs, it plays the same every time.

Taylor highly recommends the Humidpak. You don't need to measure the temps or humidity, just drop the packs in, done.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.