Guitar scales,need some help with theory

darvik1982
darvik1982
08/25/2014 1:12 pm
Hi everyone this is going be a long question so bare with me. I'm completely confused about scales.
As far to what I understand minor scales follows formula w-h-w-w-h-w-w and major scale follows w-w-h-w-w-w-h which is fine i get that. Say if i start with root note c and by following formula i end up with same note c just higher (octave ) and i can play that anywhere on the guitar and the only change is the key note. But when i go on guitar tricks ultimate scale finder and i want to find C major scale ( c major ionian position 1) it gives me all these bunch of notes and it doesn't even start on the note C it starts on the note A and finishes on the note C ?
I hope I don't sound to stupid, just need some help.
I uploaded the pattern, you can find it bellow....
Thank you...
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/25/2014 1:55 pm
Originally Posted by: darvik1982As far to what I understand minor scales follows formula w-h-w-w-h-w-w and major scale follows w-w-h-w-w-w-h which is fine i get that.[/quote]
Yes, that's right. What may be confusing you is thinking that you have to start on the root note every time you play a scale.

When you are first learning scales, or when you are writing them out to mentally organize them, then starting the root is helpful. But when you play songs & melodies, it is not necessary to play the root note first.
[QUOTE=darvik1982]But when i go on guitar tricks ultimate scale finder and i want to find C major scale ( c major ionian position 1) it gives me all these bunch of notes and it doesn't even start on the note C it starts on the note A and finishes on the note C ?

The Scale Finder is just a reference source. It will show you any & all patterns that a scale forms. If it's possible to play notes below the root note in any given pattern, if there are frets available, then the Scale Finder will show them.

So, the pattern you uploaded shows the notes B (major 7th) & A (major 6th) below the C (1st or root) on the low E string.

The Scale Finder is designed to show 3 notes per string, regardless of whether or not the root note is the lowest note in the pattern. Make sense?

Have a look at this tutorial that actually uses the C major scale to play some scales & chords in a little musical example. You can see in the videos & notation images how I use notes below the root to get certain things done.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=426

Hope this helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success! :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
darvik1982
darvik1982
08/25/2014 4:14 pm
Thank you for the reply I will watch Scales And Chords Relationships and hope that will give me more understanding.
And I just realise that the scale pattern i uploaded should start on Fret 5 ( instead of fret 3 ) lover E, sorry for confusion. But its still the same pattern as to what guitar scale finder generates for me...
Thank you...
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/26/2014 1:13 pm
Yes, that tutorial should help you understand the idea.
Originally Posted by: darvik1982And I just realise that the scale pattern i uploaded should start on Fret 5 ( instead of fret 3 ) lover E, sorry for confusion. But its still the same pattern as to what guitar scale finder generates for me...

Yes, that's not a problem. The principle still applies!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.