A good full sized humbucker for a tele

jugglerj007
jugglerj007
08/02/2014 11:12 am
Hey everyone,

I just traded in for a Fender Modern Player Plus Tele. It sounded good and I thought it had the potential to be quite versatile. I like the idea of a full humbucker in the bridge to play some heavier rock and than having the split switch to capture a bit of the classic single coil tone. I tend to lean towards the blues, southern rock, and country styles and personally I feel the stock pickup doesn't lend itself to those styles as well as I'd like. The sound when it's split is a bit thinner sounding then I normally like. I'm wondering if someone could recommend some good humbuckers that sound good split and that can still hang on to a bit of that Tele twang. I'm not looking to make it sound like a regular Tele, I realize that's nearly impossible, I just want to make it as versatile as possible and get the most out of it.
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/03/2014 1:12 pm
Originally Posted by: jugglerj007Hey everyone,

I just traded in for a Fender Modern Player Plus Tele. It sounded good and I thought it had the potential to be quite versatile. I like the idea of a full humbucker in the bridge to play some heavier rock and than having the split switch to capture a bit of the classic single coil tone. I tend to lean towards the blues, southern rock, and country styles and personally I feel the stock pickup doesn't lend itself to those styles as well as I'd like. The sound when it's split is a bit thinner sounding then I normally like. I'm wondering if someone could recommend some good humbuckers that sound good split and that can still hang on to a bit of that Tele twang. I'm not looking to make it sound like a regular Tele, I realize that's nearly impossible, I just want to make it as versatile as possible and get the most out of it.

I would look in to Gibson 59, Pearly Gates or even a PAF configuration. All are for a vintagey kind of sounds which is what it sounds like you are looking for.
# 2
jugglerj007
jugglerj007
08/03/2014 3:07 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65I would look in to Gibson 59, Pearly Gates or even a PAF configuration. All are for a vintagey kind of sounds which is what it sounds like you are looking for.

Thanks,

I came across the Pearly Gates in my research and I'm seriously considering it, not sure how it sounds split. I'm also curious how a Duncan P-Rail might sound. I'd have change to a three way switch but that's not that big of a deal.
# 3
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
08/07/2014 6:46 am
worth looking at these too

http://oilcitypickups.co.uk/wrandknuckle.html
# 4
maggior
maggior
08/07/2014 12:31 pm
Keep in mind that coil splits will never sound like single coils. The coil splits on my Les Paul, which has Burstbucker Pros, give me another tone option that approximates the sound of single coils but that's about it. If I want true single coil tone, I pick up my strat.
# 5
fretsmith
fretsmith
08/07/2014 4:34 pm
"also curious how a Duncan P-Rail might sound" .....

I recently bought a Godin Icon with factory Duncan P-Rails. For my tastes/ear - I couldn't be happier. I've gone thru a LOT of guitars and this one would absolutely be amongst the best I've owned. Recommended.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.