Need help with tension

munqy
munqy
05/28/2002 5:36 am
Something is seriously wrong with teh tension of teh strings i use on my IBANEZ RG 550 + a floyd rose floating bridge.

I've been playing for a year with 9 gauge strings and now i've changed to ten gauges for a bit of added "heaviness".

My ten gauge strings tuned to standard E. The 'action' is fine... the strings are the right distance above the fretboard ... (i even tried lowering them and end up getting a 'buzz')

But the problem is that i can barely bend a step up and after a half hour of playing my fingers bleed like h***. When i picked up my friends guitar ( he's a beginer with a samick ) i found that with his eleven gauges tuned to a standard E felt as loose as a B tunning on my geetar (1 1/2 steps down).

I've played on a spanish for 6 years and usually tension doens't matter that much but currently my geetar is freaking ****** with my hands.

i need help .... and lots of it.
real tyte bro \m/
# 1
James8831
James8831
05/28/2002 8:28 am
the other day..trying to get a value on a roadstar

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/discus/

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech.htm#Tuning

Hunt around in the first one,as it seems quite large,I think the /threads/cool contemporary electrics is where to go.

cheers.

Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 2
Razorwire
Razorwire
06/03/2002 1:38 pm
Hi Munqy,
I have experimented with varios guages of strings and I've found that it took a little while to get accustomed to using .10's at standard tuning. Its worth the effort though as it tends to improve the tone of your instrument.

I have found though that different companies strings tend to be tighter I once tried DR .095's and found them
to be very harsh. I currently use ernie ball regular slinkys .10's which are really nice to play on and don't seem too tight.

I hope this was some help, I recon you should think primeraly of you poor hands and use something that dosent kill them.

Razorwire
# 3
munqy
munqy
06/17/2002 5:47 pm
Originally posted by Razorwire
Hi Munqy,
I have experimented with varios guages of strings and I've found that it took a little while to get accustomed to using .10's at standard tuning. Its worth the effort though as it tends to improve the tone of your instrument.

I have found though that different companies strings tend to be tighter I once tried DR .095's and found them
to be very harsh. I currently use ernie ball regular slinkys .10's which are really nice to play on and don't seem too tight.

I hope this was some help, I recon you should think primeraly of you poor hands and use something that dosent kill them.

Razorwire

Sorry guys, i was busy with finals and i didn't even check this post.

I wish i read Razorwire's post earlier... i ended up finding out the hard way.

I was using D'Adarrio strings and my ibanez has a longer neck than regular guitars.

The problem was solved by using Ernie Ball slinkys (yep Razorwire, thanx) they are a lot better than d'addario's.

Ten gauges are awsome. I love teh added heaviness and the theres just enough tensio to tune down to drop B as well. These strings are good, without using reinforced bends ( using more than one finger for a bend) i could execute hendrix style 2 step bends easily with no problems at all.

Though i'm not promoting this one brand ... but ernie ball strings last longer, sound better and have teh right amount of tension and has this rich full tone ( its a fuller , more warmer tone) , unlike D'addario's.

don't get me wrong d'addarios may be amazing with other guitars (we wish).
well thanx for all the time and help.
real tyte bro \m/
# 4
Razorwire
Razorwire
06/17/2002 8:01 pm
I'm glad that you found strings that suit your playing style.
I must admit that I like ernie ball strings the most myself. As well as all the stuff you listed I also find that they are the cheapest and that most guitar shops sell singles so you can create the ideal set for whatever you tune to.
If you do want to try a realy nice sounding set of strings snarling dogs are good as well. They are made with extra nickel which makes em extra bright. Altho are as rare as rocking horse ***t to find in the UK.

N E way enuff of my rambling

L8r

Razorwire
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.