The Downside of Influences

THE_HACK_PACK
THE_HACK_PACK
05/24/2002 7:46 am
I have this 16th note palm muted riff outlining a basic G,F and C progression,but I'm using nothin but intervals such as 3rds,4ths and major 6ths,no 5 chords at all,and the damn thing is still going to end up being compared to "Surfin" or "Summer Song".I enjoy these types of 1,7,4 or 1,4,7 progressions based on relative minor,but if I alter it,I lose what I like,plus I end up in serious minor territory,and I want,happy,upbeat Dorian,Be-Bop flow,you know.Christ I feel like such a plagerist,I've been playin these types of rhythms long before I heard Surfin,don't I have a right to go forward,even with the comparisons.Has anyone else laid down some tracks that might have been,"lifted",at least in other peoples eyes,even though you knew it was yours.Is there perhaps a downside to influences???
CAKE or DEATH????

Ummmmmmm,Cake Please,,Oh,It's Very Nice.
-Eddie Izzard-
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/24/2002 5:32 pm
Well, people tell me I sound like Satch or Van Halen, well, I've listened to them so much!

Once my mom came into my room when I was a teenager, and I was listening to some Yngwie, she told me 'good tune you wrote there' that was cool...

Satch sounds like Jeff Beck at times, just like VAI sounds like Zappa... Influences are good, just have enough so that you don't sound alike, but like a mix of them.
# 2
u10ajf
u10ajf
06/02/2002 1:02 am
I hate sounding like a rock cliche, Terje Rypdal's work has helped me out a bit. He's an inconsistent but occassionally utterly superb rock guitarist who plays with jazzy and or orchestral strings backing.

He plays lots of volume swells and reverb, often with harmonics or bends on his strat and has quite a trebly tone and uses a linear vibrato and his whammy. He's from Norway and aptly enough his playing often has a very remote, lonely and glacially tragic air to it.
Sometimes he uses a pedal that produces really dissonant overtones, truly horrible but kind of cool in small doses.
He mixes the ugly and the beautiful to great effect and is a competant shredder on the rare ocassions when he truly lets rip.

Try getting your hands on "If mountains could sing". I think it's worth it for the first track alone but there are 4 or 5 excellent tracks in all.
Movement four of QED is a must hear, the album sucks but for that one movement which is probably the most terrifyingly desolate and beautiful thing I've ever heard, too amazing for words.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 3
THE_HACK_PACK
THE_HACK_PACK
06/02/2002 10:32 am
I recommend starting with at least 4 hours of Kerry KingLive onVHS/DVD,cuz he is real easy to study/emulate.I'll say he's original,and does'nt think about the rules.In their big "hit" Seasons in The Abyss" is a great example.1st Half of the solo is clearly rooted in F,,andKing goes and plays a 2 octave run in F# Aeolian?!?!?! That blew my mind,and it came at a time in my playing,when i worried about maybe hitting a C instead of C#,but with Kerry,rules??? thre are no rules.Balls and A Big Whammy!!!!!
CAKE or DEATH????

Ummmmmmm,Cake Please,,Oh,It's Very Nice.
-Eddie Izzard-
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.