SELLING OUT : PART 2

THE_HACK_PACK
THE_HACK_PACK
05/20/2002 7:57 am
The record labels and executives have always been the biggest problem.but now with musiccity.com/Morpheus,they are providing artists with the equal oppurtunity to unleash their music equally,without a label tio get in the way.Here is a sample of the new system:

Not all tech companies think copy protection is futile. StreamCast Networks, the company that owns Morpheus, sees value in the idea. That might seem ironic, given the lawsuit filed by the R.I.A.A. against StreamCast, which is heading for a likely trial in October. But the kind of copy protection on show in Morpheus 2.0, a new version of the file-swapping software to be released in the next few weeks (and distributed free at musiccity.com) will probably give music executives ulcers because it allows artists to cut out the music-label middleman.
The technology is called CintoA, shorthand for Content into Application,
and it acts as a kind of secure digital wrapper for anything an artist might want to seed among Morpheus' 60 million users. The artist pays $500 up front, then sets the price users will have to pay ā€” say, $1 a song ā€” and the rules they will have to obey to unwrap a song or album, including whether they can copy it to a CD. Morpheus takes 30% of the revenue; the remaining 70% goes to the artist. Not bad when you consider that the average songwriter barely makes a dollar from the sale of her CD in a store.

I'm going to use this method,wrote 5 songs in the last 3 weeks and I should have a full 12 by the end of Fall.I say the hell with the labels.My biggest goal s for people just to hear my music,I could care less about dime one.Finally,musicians may have a real chance of getting the word out,without endless tours and years of playing cover tunes.Time to take a chance,and with 60 million users and rising,I'll be happy if 100 people hear it.I think we may all have a shot.Good Luck to all!

CAKE or DEATH????

Ummmmmmm,Cake Please,,Oh,It's Very Nice.
-Eddie Izzard-
# 1
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/21/2002 9:16 am
If this is really true and feasible and all,this could be really good.
But it raises a point with me;
Why do record labels treat the artists the way they do?Greed?Lack of vision?They plain f***ing suck?Why?
One could raise the argument that they just get some makeshift artists,who aren't really talented and make them "stars"(and some of the music out there lends support to this argument)and since these people aren't artists anyway,they get paid peanuts and sent home.But with all the musical talent in the world,why not the real artists,make real good music,pay them real well,listenres get really good music,everyone gets a good deal,and everyone is happy?
The reason I'm raising all these questions is this:
If record companies can give me such a raw deal,what is there to make musiccity give me a better deal?
if the answer to that is partly coz the companies control the market and can thus dictate terms,why won't musiccity,and others that are as sure as hell going to come up if this becomes the new way of distributing music,act in the exact same way when they control the market?
Where exactly do I fit in as the artist?
And since business(and this is business)is all about making money,what makes you(not you personally,I have nothing against you)think that the rec companies won't buy morpheus?
Coz musiccity won't sell?
If they get a good price(as in relative to what they'll make by remaining in business themselves)they'll sell.Trust me.It's all about the dough.Or is it?
And lastly,just how much are computers used as a source of music around the world?What are the prospects of this form of distribution?You know,I reall love the business rag,"Fortune",and I always buy it whenever I can afford(it costs nearly as much as my weekly food budget,but that's another story).But reading the mag on the web will never equal the feeling of turning those pages in my hands.I like to listen to music on the net,and to download and burr C.Ds,but I still like the feel of a new CD,reading the booklet,all that.Can anyone who's reading this shed some light on these issues?
And Hack,where did you find out about this?I'd like to read it.Post a link or whatever.
# 2
THE_HACK_PACK
THE_HACK_PACK
05/21/2002 9:25 am
go to the musiccity.com homepage,,click on artist,,the details are there.
CAKE or DEATH????

-Eddie Izzard-
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/21/2002 9:17 pm
As a morpheus user, I don't wanna pay... But I wouldn't mind listening to a ten second ad in front of the song.
# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
05/22/2002 9:54 am
yeah, and since most of us dable in home recording, you could snip those bits off before you burn them off... hehe
I'm not advocating piracy by the way... :rolleyes:
# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/22/2002 10:08 am
Think about it.

A big company is gonna pay 100000 bucks to have their commercial aired on MTV twice a night for 12 seconds, during a week. Now, everone knows you don't really listen to those ads...

Now, the company pays 0.25 bucks for each download of the song. 15 cents goes to the host, or internet server, 10 cents goes to the artist. if you get downloaded 1000 times (it's free, why not?) you get, as an artist, a 100 bucks... And the company has touched a 1000 kids that will think their ad is cooler, since the group that is after the ad is quite cool... Of course, you can take it off, but the ad could be a 1 time only thing. And by the way, for 1000 downlads, you pay only 250 dollars, so with 100000 dollars, you get at least 400 000 downlads, so 400 000 people that will listen to your ad, with a public that you know (young, hip etc...)
I think it's quite a good deal... Well, a 100 bucks is not much, but it's a 100 bucks more than you'll get in your room playing those jason Becker stuff... :D

# 6
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/22/2002 1:01 pm
Originally posted by THE_HACK_PACK
go to the musiccity.com homepage,,click on artist,,the details are there.

There's nothing there,just stuff about artists,nothing about this scheme you're talking about and those figures and stuff abot copy protection.
# 7
THE_HACK_PACK
THE_HACK_PACK
05/22/2002 10:03 pm
Here's a link..

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,89064,00.asp

What is this scheme talk,you make me sound like I'm standing on a horse and carriage,trying to sell my latest bottle of snake oil.Yeah,I'm selling land too,Intrested???

Also you can do a search on the word CINTOA,,this will take you to quite a few articles on the procedure.

Some of you seem to think tis is a bad idea,I can't understand why.I'm not some schill for the company,I want my material heard like everyone else and I think this is better then some happening to link to your personal webpage,that probably isn't a .com address.

Or maybe I'm speaking to single individuals who are mainly intrsted in instrumental solo efforts.I'm talki vocals,with a full band.If your just,doing it solo,I guess maybe sticking to the old way is better.Good Luck!!
CAKE or DEATH????

-Eddie Izzard-
# 8
THE_HACK_PACK
THE_HACK_PACK
05/22/2002 10:26 pm
My Fault,please type in those numbers as well to take you to the page in question.
CAKE or DEATH????

-Eddie Izzard-
# 9
THE_HACK_PACK
THE_HACK_PACK
05/22/2002 11:00 pm
Just a note,LYCOS search has nothing on the CINTOA process,YAHOO search has a large amount.

http://www.morpheus-os.com

CAKE or DEATH????

-Eddie Izzard-
# 10
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/23/2002 6:45 am
No one's saying you're selling snake oil,or that that idea is snake oil.
It was just a simple question;of all the music that is sold(the word sell here excludes all the stuff that is swapped for free on the net with no one involved in the process that made the music makin any money out of it),what percentage is sold through the web?
How many people in the world have comps at home or access to them?
Take care not to get overthrilled by the prospects of the net.That's what happened to all those investors who lost bankloads of cash through the now infamous .com bust.
Jeff Bezos thought his retail operation would be very different from brick and mortar retailers coz his was over the web.But he had to deal with all the problems brick and mortar retailers deal with.And then some.That time,Amazon stock was selling at a price/earning multiple of around 180.While Wal mart's(which was making a hell of a lot more more cash than Amazon-I'm not even sure if Amazon was making any money)was selling at a multiple of about 34(these fires are subject to confirmation,but they're fairly accurate).
I'm talking real world business.Not hype.Real world bsiness.
And in case you don't know,this is how those mltiples usually work:
If a company,in the year ahead,expects to make earnings of,say,a dollar every ordinary share,and at the same time,the stock is trading at ten dollars a share,then it's P/E multiple is 10.Now you get the picture.
# 11
THE_HACK_PACK
THE_HACK_PACK
05/23/2002 7:30 am
That was some excellant information being transgresed,very informative.
Well,myself personally,I'm nt going to lose my shirt over $500,I mean you,the artist still have to copyright your music before you submit it.Plus,the recording industry is trying,I'll sytress trying to effectively put in place the copy proof CD.Anyone,well I doubt here,who has The Fast & The Furious soundtrck 2,well this is a copy proof CD,it can be converted,but the Recording industry has made the burns extreme to the point,where if you play them,they could literally ruin the system.Now your all going to say,"HUH??,where you get this nonsense" Hey,I just read,preferably MSN BC and PC world.But The The Furious 2 disc was released overseas first as a test,and there were a lot of complaints about the damage it caused,and the recording idustry just says,not our fault.This is why the alternative is being made available now.I'm sure the Hackers will be able to break the new codes,but what about the rest.Are you going to risk your car stereo just for a couple of cents.Just repeating what I read,as I said before,do your own searces,you'll find this info for yourselves.
CAKE or DEATH????

-Eddie Izzard-
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.