View post (finding the right tone)

View thread

bbzswa777
bbzswa777
03/09/2014 5:57 am
First off, I haven't been playing guitar too long (5 months), but I've been obsessed since I've started and I play at least 2 hours every day. I'd like to think I'm advancing pretty fast in some areas, while I'm still a novice in others. Particularly how to achieve the perfect sound:

For example... I've been learning the chorus of Black Star by Yngwie, and I've finally got it down (yes, even the fast alternate picking). But I haven't yet mastered the crazy solos in the rest of the song, of course.

But anyway, f you know the song, you'll know there are a few very important bends in the chorus. I'm actually using a Fender Strat (just like he did), but I only have a small Fender Mustang amp. But here's my question: is it unreasonable to think I can match his tone with my small amp and guitar? I basically just put it on a high gain setting. Because even though I have the bends down, it doesn't sound quite as emotional as his. But I'm pretty clueless when it comes to recording and live performances. It sounds like he might even have another guitarist playing the same thing at the same time, maybe even in another octave? Or maybe I need an actual tube amp with some pedals?

Again, I'm fairly clueless on the matter, and would welcome any advice!

~Rusty