View post (Is there any difference between improvising over Chords, Riffs and Arpeggios?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/27/2014 2:55 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowThe people I jammed with just used A Minor Pentatonic to solo over that riff, but I might like different scales to get a different sound, depending on the situation.[/quote]
The biggest "go to" scale for lots of electric guitarist is a pentatonic box. And that's good because it's useful, it's practical, you know what sounds to expect out of that old friend. :)

Further, the pentatonic boxes are a great visual guide for expanding into the modes, also!

I think too many guitarists, especially beginners, get wrapped up in the idea that in order to use modes they have to be Joe Satriani & shred up & down the fretboard, know every possible scale formula, pattern, lick & trick.

But, it's better to start small & practical. Let's try a simple experiment. This is the A minor pentatonic box, 1st pattern. Looks familiar, yeah?

||---|---|---|---|-1-|---|---|-m3|---|---|---|---|
||---|---|---|---|-5-|---|---|-m7|---|---|---|---|
||---|---|---|---|-m3|---|-4-|---|---|---|---|---|
||---|---|---|---|-m7|---|-1-|---|---|---|---|---|
||---|---|---|---|-4-|---|-5-|---|---|---|---|---|

Now, use that pattern to play this lick in A minor pentatonic.

|-5-8-5--------------------------------------|
|--------8-5-8-8-b/(10)----------------------|
|--------------------------------------------|

Now, rather than try to learn every possible pattern, configuration & lick using the dorian mode, let's just realize that dorian is essentially just a minor scale with a major 6th, instead of a minor 6th.

Applying this piece of information to our pentatonic box allows to see that we can immediately use the A dorian mode by simply putting the major 6th in our familiar minor pentatonic box pattern.

||---|---|---|---|-5-|---|-M6|-m7|---|---|---|---|

Now, we can build a nifty, simple lick that is based on our visual reference of the handy minor pentatonic box, using simple mechanical fingering patterns we already know, but that has a modal flavor, the A dorian mode.

|-5-8-5--------------------------------------|
|--------7-5-7-8-b/(10)----------------------|

We don't have to worry about the 2nd scale degree. We don't have to expand the pattern across the fretboard. We don't have to know a million different concepts or tricks in order to start using modes in a practical way.

This is how I learned modes. I heard about them. I studied them. I tried to memorize all the patterns & formulas. But in the end, doing simple little experiments like the above was how I really grasped what modes are & how to use them. After days, weeks, years of doing little experiments like this I built a vast assortment of tools in my bag of tricks & a solid, working understanding of modes.

Build one good sounding lick at a time based on one idea. Don't expect to take over the world in one fell swoop. :)
[QUOTE=Kasperow]

Q Q E E Q
e|-----------------|
B|-----------------|
G|-2---------------|
D|-2---2---5-5-3---|
A|-0---3---5-5-3---|
E|-----5---3-3-1---|

Q=Quarter Note
E=Eighth Note

As seen, the only degree I don't use is the 2nd. This means that any scale I want to use should contain the notes A, C, D, E, F and G, which leaves me with very few options, since I'm playing in A Minor (I could be wrong on this, though). Two good options would be A Minor and A Phrygian, others might be A Pentatonic Minor or A Blues.

Yes, your analysis is correct! Well done!. :)

And all those scales are good options to try. And that is the key to this whole thing: go spend time trying them! Listen to the results. Be critical in what you like, remember the stuff that sounded good to use it again & expand upon it. Remember the stuff that sounded bad in order to avoid those patterns in the future.

Again, let's go back to our old friend. :) Here's the A minor pentatonic box.

Now, let's remember that Phrygian is essentially a minor scale with a flat 2nd degree. So, let's put that guy in our box.

||---|---|---|---|-1-|-b2|---|-m3|---|---|---|---|

Now, let's build a lick!

|-5-6-5--------------------------------------|
|--------8-5-8-8-b/(10)----------------------|

I've used our familiar blues-rock pentatonic lick as a basis for branching out into using the A Phrygian mode! Now, build yourself another one. And then find another place to play the flat 2nd in an A minor pentatonic box. Then build another lick. :)

Make sense? Hope this helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory