View post (modes 101.)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
02/27/2014 5:52 am
Hi Axe, its no problem helping you at all! Here is the Phrygian Augmented sequence, on the B string, exactly as you hear it on the demo I did:

E ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
B ||---|---|-x-|-x-|---|---|-x-|-x-|---|-x-|-x-|---|-x-|---|-x-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
G ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
D ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
A ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
E ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
3 5 7 9 12 15 17 19 21

The augmented step comes between the 2nd and 3rd scale degrees. Normally, with any mode based on the major scale, there is never more than a two fret distance between notes. Phrygian Dominant isn't based on the major scale; its a mode of the Harmonic Minor scale, which explains why it doesn't conform to the major scale interval formula.

When you describe playing slowly because you have Dorian "locked into memory", that's exactly how I do it too. Pretty soon you'll be noodling around, just playing something that sounds good, and then quickly recognize that you're playing Dorian, or what ever mode you're using, and then it will really start to click.

The guitar sound I have comes straight out of the BOSS JS10. I used the direct record feature. The unit doesn't sound as good through the speakers, but does sound great through headphones or recorded.