Modeling the Slash tone

Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
02/11/2014 4:55 pm
First of all Mike thanks for the songs I've learned from you so far. I know you, and the others, "model" certain amps, effects, etc to get the right sound/tone for the songs you teach. How would you model the Slash tone? Also what amps are you using to model the songs you do? Thanks in advance for any help. FYI, I currently have a V-Amp 2 to get some good tones. The Carvin (Valvestate 100) half stack I have is too loud for the house :)

Dale
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/13/2014 4:10 am
Hey Dale! Thanks for digging the lessons.

I use a Line6 POD XT for all my tutorials, and just dial in the tones from there.

Slash is a bit of a tough one, and I admit I haven't really dug into tweaking for his tone, as I haven't taught any GNR on the site. The best advice I can give to start is to look for a Marshall JCM800 (or 900) model, set the bass and treble to halfway, and the mids to around 65-75% as a starting point. Much of his tone comes from his Alnico Humbucker Pickups on his Les Paul, so if you have a Les Paul you might be able to come a little closer.

Hope this gets you in the ballpark ... let me know how it goes!
Good luck!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
02/13/2014 6:11 pm
Thx for the info Mike. The V-amp does have a JCM800-ish setting so I'll start there with the settings you gave. I'm up north now, helping my father through the winter, with a BC Rich ST-3 I put a Screaming Demon in and playing through a old Montgomery Wards SS amp I had as a teen. Still works most of the time :) I do have a LP w/Alnicos in it back in Texas which I run through a VHT 18W and can get close to his sound. May be time to throw the covers off the Carvin and wake the neighbors up!!! Thanks again. Dale PS; Sounds like it time GnR got some attention on Tricks!!!
# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/14/2014 6:54 pm
Sounds most excellent! Dig in and enjoy!

We're trying to get some GNR on the site. Fingers crossed:)

Thx!
Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.