Using Multiple Scales in a Single Solo

Kasperow
Kasperow
01/15/2014 6:38 am
How exactly do you go about using several scales in a solo? I'm not quite sure how it's done. I know that Ritchie Blackmore did it by using different scales for each phrase in the solo to Smoke On The Water, and Slash did a similar thing with Sweet Child O' Mine (and I'm pretty darned sure those aren't the only cases). I can see how you can easily combine the Pentatonic and blues scale in a given key, since that just comes down to whether or not you use the "Blues Note" (I think it's a flat 6th, but I'm not 100% sure. I just know how to play the scale...), but what if I want to make a solo go from either a happy sound to a more sad one, or maybe from aggressive to more calm. I know the modes each have their own characteristics (for example, I've read that the Dorian mode supposedly sounds even sadder than the Aeolian mode), I just don't know what the secret trick to using more scales in a solo without making it sound bad is...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
maggior
maggior
01/15/2014 2:01 pm
If you want to switch from happy to sad or vice versa, you could switch between major and minor pentatonic. BB King uses likes from both major and minor pentatonic scales.

You can also modulate, meaning change the entire key of the song. My Generation by The Who does that. There are other examples of that but I can't think of them at the moment.
# 2

01/15/2014 6:11 pm
u can play say the A min pentatonic too the A maj pentatonic,like it was said above and try throwing in the A blues scale,so know you have three scales.now play all three an octave higher.so if your playing the A MIN move it up to the 17th fret same scale just different voicing.alot of players including my do that,its pretty cool...and use all fife pent boxes as well.
# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/15/2014 6:44 pm
Originally Posted by: axe2u can play say the A min pentatonic too the A maj pentatonic,like it was said above and try throwing in the A blues scale,so know you have three scales.now play all three an octave higher.so if your playing the A MIN move it up to the 17th fret same scale just different voicing.alot of players including my do that,its pretty cool...and use all fife pent boxes as well.

Hmm... Good suggestions. I know only one song (off the top of my head, that is), that uses the "octave higher" thing. "Sometimes I Like Screaming" by Deep Purple has its main-riff/theme, that after the solo gets played a couple of times in different positions and keys, giving it a different "feel" for each time. Simply executed, yet it sounds awesome and beautiful at the same time.

Any other awesome tricks worth trying out? And if I use different scales, would it be better to start a new lick/phrase with a note that both the previous and the current scale have in common? Like, if I'm playing in A Minor, and I want to go to B Major to solo over a B Major Chord, would I be best off starting a new phrase with a B, since both scales contain a B, or can I start the phrase with any of the three Chord Tones?

Sorry for the questions, but the theory behind improvisation isn't exactly my strongest side...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 4
maggior
maggior
01/15/2014 6:56 pm
Playing an octive higher is still using the same scale though - it will have the same general sound.

Like you, I quickly get out of my depth in theory discussions :-). Modes may be helpful...and that's essentially changing scales as well.
# 5

01/15/2014 7:48 pm
yeah an octave higher is the same scale,but does it sound the same?and good point if you know your modes,well there you go good choice.
for me ill run a quick lick then play that same lick an octave higher,i do it all the time works for me,but may not work for others ,we all have different tast.
how ya doin.
# 6
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/15/2014 8:19 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorPlaying an octive higher is still using the same scale though - it will have the same general sound.

Like you, I quickly get out of my depth in theory discussions :-). Modes may be helpful...and that's essentially changing scales as well.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I plan on learning the different modes, at some point even all the positions. I've read that the Dorian Mode has an even sadder overall feel than the Minor scale, while other modes have their own characteristics and feel. I'm not quite sure what the other modes' characteristics are, though...

[QUOTE=axe2]yeah an octave higher is the same scale,but does it sound the same?and good point if you know your modes,well there you go good choice. for me ill run a quick lick then play that same lick an octave higher,i do it all the time works for me,but may not work for others ,we all have different tast. how ya doin.

To me, playing an octave higher or lower doesn't sound the same way. It just affects the level of intensity a phrase is played with. For instance, I think an A Minor lick played at the 5th fret sounds one way, but moving it up an octave makes it sound more intense. But that's just me and how I think it affects the sound.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 7
maggior
maggior
01/15/2014 8:32 pm
I'm fine axe2 :-). I know what you mean about the sound when you play it an ocatave higher - it gives it a more aggressive sound and adds interest. It's still the same scale though - which was why I said same "general" sound.
# 8

01/15/2014 9:42 pm
oh i know what ya meant bro.were just helpin each other out,thats what i love about gt theres always someone to help out,the more the better,get any new gear lately lol.
# 9

01/15/2014 9:52 pm
i need to start learning modes,i been so busy learning all the names of the notes on the fretboard.i been playing the fretboard trainer my highest score is 105 min not to good but gettin better.........
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.